Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted a little while back about noisy front brakes on the RR.

Noticed recently that one of the front discs was blackening (other one still shiny silver). So thought maybe pads were sticking that side, but wheel seems free and after a 20 mile or so ride the disc wasn't even warm (yeah i know that shows i'm not braking much!)

Then i noticed a silver greasy type residue on the edge of that disc. So tonight thought ok, take pads out clean everything up and see if that make its better. Took pads out and they look as hard as f*ck. As if they are like metal. I've seen that on cars where the pads have done tons of miles and just over the years gone hard. But the RR isn't a year old and only done 1500 miles. Is this normal or is there some other thing to consider.

I've roughed them back up as best as i can, cleaned the residue off the disc, and will try it out next ride.

Reallly not happy with the feel i'm getting from those brakes at the mo, if this doesn't sort it, then i'll have to buy a set of new pads, but pretty annoyed that so few miles and time, adn they already need replacing. (plenty of pad left so no way near worn out)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hav the same noise and feel on mine also . The pads seem to be good and the rotor is wearing normal . It sounds llike metal to metal grinding on ocasion. Just light sounds not a heavy grind. I thought that this was normal.

·
Registered
526 Posts
mine too, just kinda noisy

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But to my knowledge (mostly car based) bads should not be hard as metal, but softer. If they are like metal usually means they have had it.

Might see how much a set of EBC pads are and try them to eliminate the noise, grinding feeling. Just haven't got 100% confidence in these brakes, always seem to be gentle on them.

The noise hasn't always been this bad, it has got worse.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've just replaced my pads with some sintered double h and I now get a noise, sounds similar, I've re-assembled the pot holder and checked te spring all looks fine(it is a pretty errorless system). The brakes are awesome and I had a 5 hour run out on sunday without issue. With my plugs in I couldn't hear a thing so I forgot all about it until I popped out to the shop last thing. Strange!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that sounds a hell of a lot better. No grinding noise just a smooth low pitched whir on slow down. Grinding feeling has gone from the lever too, so more confidence. Will see how it goes, but may put new pads on as well, we shall see

·
Registered
29 Posts
normal noise?

when i first had the bike i never noticed any noise, but after breaking it in I notice an annoying sound when braking. Sounds like most people have experienced the same thing.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Your going to get a bit of a deep whirring or moaning sound as a result of drilled rotors during heavy braking. You shouldn`t feel a vibration in the brake lever though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts