Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

Im new to this whole thing my buddy with a 600rr recomended me to this forum, and i just picked up my first bike its a 2001 Ninja ZX6R. I never was into bikes and im new to everything and i already encountered my first issue. my buddy dropped it and of course i only have liability and i fixed the cosmetic portion of it and am left with the mechanical. well the problem is:

~Shifts into first hard
~shifts into neutral normal
~and the problem: doesnt shift past neutral into any other gear.
~ goes down to first up into neutral and it doesnt go up pasted that. and with the clutch depressed and when put into first it lunges forward.

if anyone can help me or relate please it would be very appreciated and hopefully i can complete the job myself. thanks

brandon

·
Registered
83 Posts
the shifting rods are prob bent, or the indexing spring actuator is not keeping tension. It sounds pretty bad, youll definately have to open it up and need to replace several componenets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks for the info.
i will check the shifting rods tonight. thanks.
yes the oil & filter were just changed 2 weeks ago (synthetic elf 10-40).
i also replaced radiator, fan, fan switch (sensor), oil cooler and battery.
all needed replacement after it was laid down. bike went down on the left side. the bike ran well saturday although i only rode for about 35-45 min. thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Its not going to be the oil... If it was dropped on the left side then the shift arm probably got dented and the shift rods inside took a hit too.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Troubleshooting a gear shift lever that's hard to shift could be:
1. Improper Oil Viscosity (which in this case is fine)
2. Bent shift fork
3. Bent shift fork shaft
4. Bent fork claw
5. Damaged gearshift cam
6. Loose or damaged stopper plate and pin
7. Damaged gearshift spindle

This is for the RR, so I don't know how much of this pertains to the 6R. In order to prevent this in the future, you should never let anyone ride your bike except you. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not going to be the oil... If it was dropped on the left side then the shift arm probably got dented and the shift rods inside took a hit too.
thanks so much for your help. that makes a lot of sense. now i can direct my attention to that area of the bike. i'll let you know what i come up with.

also if any one has any other ideas or areas to check that may have taken some unseen damage. i would like to hear them. thanks again for all of your help and thoughts. it is very appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alot sooperman12. that Troubleshooting list will be very helpful. and yes your right!!!! i am learning the hard way. i should have never let anyone ride my bike, but myself. thanks again for the useful info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts