Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When coming to a stop while in 6th gear can you gear down to 1st with the clutch in while braking without hurting anything? Gearing down straight to first i mean, without letting up the clutch each gear.

·
Registered
393 Posts
good question i have been doing it but i dont know if im hurting the bike.

ALSO, how soon (RPMs wise) do you guys shift to second gear, i shift when im about 5000 but if i let it go over to like 8 or 9 and then shift it "feels" wierd...

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
You can do it but sometimes for me the gears would get a little messed up or I would catch a false neutral. I think it would be better to let the clutch out between gears that way you can use engine braking as well.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
yes you can shift down. it doesnt hurt anything, that im aware of. however, it is best practice to let out every downshift or two just for practice sake, so you develop good downshifting habits and a smooth throttle blip for emergencies or trackdays or whatever.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
TOMIMOTO said:
You can do it but sometimes for me the gears would get a little messed up or I would catch a false neutral. I think it would be better to let the clutch out between gears that way you can use engine braking as well.
engine braking is rough on the tranny though, right? ive always been told that the brakes are for stopping, not the engine.

i could be wrong here though.

·
I Am a Ticket Magnet
1,879 Posts
the only time it would hurt is if you downshifted while at a high rpm like near redline. doing this would result in the rpms jumping past the rev limiter in turn hurting the motor. the rev limiter only works when accelerating to it. however if you had a slipper clutch that may not be the case but i am not a hundred percent sure. but as i was saying it is possible to over rev on a downshift unlike with acceleration.

·
Registered
639 Posts
if your going like 60mph, and click down to first with the engine at idle, its gonna make a really loud bang, when you finally get into first. Really loud bangs can't be good for anything.

RPM match, or feather the clutch out in each gear as you downshift.

·
Registered
771 Posts
hammbone said:
the only time it would hurt is if you downshifted while at a high rpm like near redline. doing this would result in the rpms jumping past the rev limiter in turn hurting the motor. the rev limiter only works when accelerating to it. however if you had a slipper clutch that may not be the case but i am not a hundred percent sure. but as i was saying it is possible to over rev on a downshift unlike with acceleration.
That's a good way to get yourself thrown from the bike.

I downshift multiple gears before letting out the bike with no problems. However, I've never gone from 6th to 1st gear w/o letting the clutch out and I wouldn't recommend that. A typical "quick slow-down" scenario would be to roll off the throttle, squeeze the brake, pull clutch in, downshift to right gear, ease out the clutch making sure engine speed matches gear (blip) all while on the front brake.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Coming down from 6th my gear changes dont keep up with my rapid braking. .. so 6th 5th and 4th i slam down through. . . and the rest i let the clutch out for a second. Whoever thinks that engine braking is bad. . .. doesn't really understand the concept of an engine, and whoever doesn't use engine braking while riding doesn't know how to ride.. . . When to shift from 1st to 2nd? depends on how fast u wanna go! or how fast u wanna slowdown!

·
Registered
237 Posts
well downshifting from 6th to 1st doing 100mph is of course going to hurt it haha. say hello to bent rods and valves for me.

·
I Am a Ticket Magnet
1,879 Posts
blue_rrockit said:
That's a good way to get yourself thrown from the bike.
yeah that too. i was simply refering to the engine and tranny.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i usually skip from 6th to 3rd then 3rd to 1st because a couple of times when skipping straight from 6th to 1st it would get caught up in some gear until i let it engage. but that may well have been my fault from shifting to fast or something like that

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess to be a little more specific, say im going 60 and im coming up on a red light. I have to stop and I know I will need to get into 1st gear to start up again. The way I do now is clutch in, brake, and click down to first without letting the clutch in. I guess I could let it out at 5th, and then 4th and 3rd, but that takes a while and it doesnt feel like a controlled stop.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also another question, when gearing up, you snap the throttle off and pull the clutch in immediately, shift up and throttle up right?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
well. . . theres quit a few ways to upshift. You can do it like u said or. . . u can skip the clutch part. . . .you can skip the let off throttle and clutch part. . .and you can skip the let off the throttle part.

i have been getting good at keeping the throttle steady and matching the rpms when i pull in the clutch. . .so you cant even feel the shift. But if i'm trying to go fast. . . i will skip the clutch while upshifting. . . and because i'm shifting so fast i usually dont let off the throttle while doing this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven't been riding long at all, but i find that to get from sixth - first i will shift 6th-4th, let it out, 4th-2nd, roll to almost a stop, then pop it into first and take back off again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do you know what rpm you can upshift with no clutch? And can you do that starting with 1st to 2nd?

My instinctive reaction to an upcoming stop (far ahead or sudden) is to pull the clutch in and brake, not even worrying about gears. I then decide if I need to gear down and continue slower or gear to 1st and prepare to stop. If infact I am in first but fall short of the stop, i can upshift to 2nd or 3rd. I can operate the bike safely, I just dont want to burn the clutch. So thats why im trying to find out the right way to shift.

Sometimes when i upshift i pull the clutch in before I roll completly off the throttle, resulting in a high unnecessary rev, which shows how much of a noob I am.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts