Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backing my bike into my garage the other day I forgot about the lawnmower and somehow backed right under the handle. It hooked over the tail and scratched it up pretty good. The scratches are not deep just alot of them.

What's the best way to get these out by myself or would it be more cost effective and a better quality if I just take it to a professional? Of course the Honda sticker will have to be replaced.

Rubbing compound?

Scratch X?

Wet sanding?

Tim

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but thats not gonna come out...You might be able to make it less visible with a polish for black paint that covers in the white bits but it will never get back close to what it looked like before....

I used to be into modifying cars and a friend of mine has a bodyshop I used to work there often and I dont know of a product that will get that out, other than resprayinf the tail...

hope this helps,

take care

steve

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info Steve but damn I hope your wrong! :cry: It looks like it's just into the clearcoat and not the basecoat. That's why I was hoping I could buff it out. Even if I have to reshoot the clearcoat that would be better than repainting the whole tail.

Oh yeah! Welcome to the board! :thumbup:

Tim

V

·
0 Posts
Time to get some number plates from JB.. maybe he can modifty it to fill that space in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
NewRedRider said:
Thanks for the info Steve but damn I hope your wrong! :cry: It looks like it's just into the clearcoat and not the basecoat. That's why I was hoping I could buff it out. Even if I have to reshoot the clearcoat that would be better than repainting the whole tail.

Oh yeah! Welcome to the board! :thumbup:

Tim
Tim,

I hope so for you aswell, but by the look of the pics the black coat is damaged bad, as said you could probably get it down a bit by buffering, but I dont think all the way out...as for the clear coat being better, true but it shouldnt make that much difference the part is rather small, al you need is a good bodyshop that wont rip you off, but seriously though try a car polish that has black substance in it to fill in little scrathes and then buffer it, it might come out looking good....

and thanx for the welcome...glad to be here

steve

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just consider it another opportunity to add some more power. I like the Greedy and NOS stickers. They're worth at least 70 HP!!!

I've pretty good luck with the scratch X stuff but not on something that bad.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
dude i keep telling people about gel gloss. Man this stuff is incredible. They sell it at Home depot now. It comes in a pink container with a blue label. and either an aerosol can or a paste and its cheap. I would try that. good luck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If the scratches aren't too deep then I would try multiple applications of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze or Finese-It like Bannanarider mentioned. Then a couple coats of wax and go from there. As you know scratches on the glossy black plastic are inevitable.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys, I appreciate all of your input. But right now I'm swamped trying to hurricane proof the house. Straps, anchors, liquid nial...stuff like that. But keep the suggestions coming. I'm going to read over this again when the hurricanes stop coming through Florida! By the looks of it that might be a few more weeks.

Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
phatRR said:
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but thats not gonna come out...You might be able to make it less visible with a polish for black paint that covers in the white bits but it will never get back close to what it looked like before....

I used to be into modifying cars and a friend of mine has a bodyshop I used to work there often and I dont know of a product that will get that out, other than resprayinf the tail...

hope this helps,

take care

steve
Yes it will come out! Just a fine touch of 2000 grit sand papper and a good compond and you're set. I could get that out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts