Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been going on for ever but if you really think you always get what the factorys use or thier sticker says they use then read this.

http://motorcyclebloggers.com/2005/04/29/jardine-or-akrapovic/

As we were wandering with our bibs strapped on to catch the drool, we came across the factory Honda trailer…and the tailgate was open. As we got closer it became apparent that it was Nicky Hayden’s trailer / crew. What I saw next was pretty disappointing and moreso disingenuous…not illegal, but a little grey in my book.

We saw a guy open a box of Akrapovic mufflers (yeah the Titanium ones) and take a heat gun to the side. Hmmm…take a heat gun to the side of perfectly new muffler? Well as we were standing there un-noticed, the guy peeled back the Akra sticker and replaced it with a Jardine sticker. I nudged Jim and asked quietly “did you just see that?”. He did. At that time we now became noticed. The tech then scurried into the trailer and lifted the tailgate.

I have aslo had the chance to see MNAY factory bikes up close and can tell you they dont always use what they say they do...

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
That's why I said Duhamel was using a Leo Vince when his sticker said otherwise. Happens more then you think because they're sponsored by a manufacturer and prefer another brand.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
That's what I was trying to get across the last time someone on here was trying to get NGK plugs. They probably actually use the Bosch platinum +4's and throw an NGK sticker on the side of the bike.

It's like the Penzoil or Quakerstate sponsored Nascar cars. I know first hand that Brett Bodine, who ran the Quaker State car years back actually ran Mobil 1 in the motor. The whole Bodine family is from this area.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When the Jardine sponsorship first happened, they were just getting back into sportbike exhausts and were lacking. The factory did use some other equipment during testing, design, etc.
However, none of these factory teams use off the shelf product from any manufacturer. None. Not even Yosh Suzuki uses off the shelf Yosh stuff.
When the factory American Honda bikes were sponsored by Yosh in the mid/late 90s, their stuff wasn't taken off the shelves from some parts store either.
The current factory-backed American Honda bikes do use exhaust systems built by Jardine - to the exact specifications given them by American Honda. They aren't systems engineered by Jardine or anyone else, especially Akrapovic - who everyone thought sucked until they changed their name from Scorpion.
Teams test other stuff all the time. AmHon has tested with Ohlins suspension for years although they officially used the Showa stuff for racing. Now they use the Ohlins stuff on race day and still test with both Showa and Ohlins.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts