Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been riding my 05 600rr and noticed that when shifting at relatively slow speeds, its not a smooth gear change. The gear goes in fine, but then when I let out the clutch and apply gas it feels like two different stages.

example.. riding, pull in clutch/off throttle, shift,( let out clutch/get on throttle )this part is the problem. it feels like when going from clutch in to letting it out thats one step where you can feel it engaging, but then when twisting the throttle, it feels like it engages again. It's hard to explain but im trying my best lol.

I think it may have something to do with how much slack is in the throttle, I can turn it a good amount without it revving. It's adjusted as far tight as it will go by the clip on.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Could be excessive chain slack?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
First of all, how long have you been riding?
YOU have to smooth it out with a slower clutch release and matching the wheel speed to engine speed for the gear your in.
Shift quicker and feather the clutch out a little slower/smoother.
Adjusting the throttle cable slack won't solve this unless your ON GAS/OFF GAS is twitchy with the clutch fully engaged.
I think you just need more practice.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is my second bike, and I've ridden others. I know how to use the clutch. My chain is on the loose side, so I might try tightening it. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
269 Posts
From what you described, I'm not totally sure what the problem is.
Have you tried both pre-loading the shifter and using just a small amount of clutch travel when you shift? Makes the process much smoother IMHO.
Also, if you are out of adjustment take-up at the throttle adjustment, then you need to either replace the cable or try adjusting it at the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do pre load the shifter before shifting, but thats not the problem. the problem is when i let out the clutch it engages, and then when i get on the gas, it engages again(sort of like if u let off the gas and then get back on it, without using the clutch. )

The throttle does have about an inch of free play. I might look into getting a new cable. Also where do you guys have the clutch lever set at. When I barely pull the clutch in, it disengages. On my other bike, it would disengage when pulled almost all the way in.

·
Registered
906 Posts
You should have about 1.5 - 2cm free play at the clutch lever before the cable becomes taught. After that, I find my clutch disengages very quickly. I thought it was a problem, but after checking my friends CBR, found his to be exactly the same.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The more tunned the chain is I foung the smoother the swifting. Plus, I find my 600rr is extremely sensitive to my clutch control, if im not giving it any gas when shifting its really bumping.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Though I've not really experienced it myself press rides of the RR's sometimes complain about excessive 'slop' or snatchiness in the transission. Bit like riding with a slack chain i guess, you change gear then apply throttle again and get a bit of a delay as the drive is taken up again. Could be this - combination of gearbox backlash, then drivetrain and chain through to rear wheel cush-drives.

So I suppose you could check your chain tension to see if that helps. I've never really noticed it myself but my RR is track only and maybe not as obvious and I don't know if it's all just journalists being mega picky about nothing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts