Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I need some advice from the experienced members on the forum...

What is the fastest way to get my bike ready for the track?

I've got Water Wetter, and new Powers on the way. Do I need tire warmers(I'm located in Michigan)? Sharkskinz plastics on the way as well... Would you recommend sliders with track plastics? Am I missing any other basics? I know there has to be some sort of safety wiring but I haven't searched through the forum for that info yet. Any other advice would help alot. I'm going to try and make a couple track days here before the end of september. Moe thanks for the links they helped a TON.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Ask CR any questions you might have, relax and have fun.

You won't need warmers for trackdays.
I would get woodcraft sliders and maybe some rearsets to help with body position..

Stomp grip....

Don't really to do much for being a novice trackday riders...

Is this going to be a track only bike? If so this winter you could tear it down and take everything off that you don't need.

·
Registered
192 Posts
For your first couple times out you probably wont need more than your bike and a decent set of tires, and warmers aren't really neccessary with most DOT tires. I'd say you're off to a good start just having the racing skins and a good set of frame sliders. As far as getting the bike prepped just follow the guidelines of whaterver org. you're going with; i.e. tape lights/blinkers, maybe remove plate and mirrors, ect.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another couple questions. With the sharkskinz, if I dont have time to get them sanded and painted will they be good enough to put on and ride out of the box? I'm also looking for some rearsets and a suit, anyone have a recommendation on where I can order these items IN STOCK. I like to support our forum vendors but for some reason its hard for them to keep any item I have ordered previously in stock and I can't wait a month for the items.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The plastics will be just fine... many people run them as is. I've always had great service from www.newenough.com. for gear, and unless you're just looking for a reason to burn 400 bucks, I'd hold off on the rearsets. Just my $.02; I'd much rather put that money into more tires and track days unlit you get fast enough to where you may need rearsets.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
I am not sure about sharkskins if they come pre-drilled, but in most cases, you will have to drill and dremmel fiberglass bodywork to make it fit right. Sharkskins are among the best in the business, but you should budget some time to make sure the stuff fits.

Aside from that, I'd say just check the requirements of the track org. In my first trackdays all I had to do was remove the license plate and mirrors and tape up my lights.

Have fun bro!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Sharkskinz have dimples where the holes go. Just drill those and mount. It's almost too easy. Other body kits take more work to install

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
mx510 said:
yeah, sharkskinz fall on the bike.........have fun. Set your sag if you havent already
Sag? Is that related to suspension?

Whats everyone think of the Joe Rocket GPX Type R 1 pc suit?

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_gpx_r_1pc_suit_page.htm

Definitely pretty clueless on what way to go with a suit. Don't want to spend 600+ on my first suit either.

·
Registered
192 Posts
For a good starter suit, under 600 bucks, I would highly recomend staying away from Joe Rocket. I know some guys swear by them, but I wouldn't buy anything but their top of the line suit...the Speedmaster. If you're looking for cheap, look into AGV, Good quality and cheap. Even the Teknic Violator is decent. Once again, I wouldn't buy anything lower than that. www.helmetharbor.com. has some good reviews.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,876 Posts
don't mess with your suspension just yet reset it back to stock & ride around the track to get a feel of what the bike is doing & make adjustments later when needed, other than that take your time, ride at your pace, don't exceed your comfort level & just have fun doing it.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Don't skimp out on your gear. Assuming you don't crash too badly in them, they will likely last you a long time, so get something you'll be happy with for a while, instead of wasting $600 now, only to end up buying another set of leathers cause you didn't buy the right one at first.

Also, make sure you have a back protector, as most trackday orgs will require one.

As others mentioned, don't worry too much about the bike itself. Just make sure all lenses are taped up, license plate and mirrors removed, and that your tires are in good shape with the correct pressure.

Definitely do invest in a set of frame sliders though. You just never know, and I look at those as cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Most important is to look up the rules for the class you will ride in. Every track day organizer has different rules for each class. Dont do things you dont have to. Like safety wiring. The only thing I would do that may not be required is to change change the coolent out for distilled water and water wetter.

Like everyone else has said... Have a good time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Heres my .02$
Contact Rob @ Lithium Motorsports 712-546-7747 He's got some nice Moto-GP suits for around $600. It's a killer deal on the suits. You said $600 was a little high, but think about buying that $400 cheap set and you crash once and they need replaced. A little more $ now will save you alot in the future.
http://www.lithiummotorsports.com/

Safety wire: do it ASAP
Frame Sliders: A must (they just might save those new sharkskinz)
Tire Warmers: not needed yet

Get the basics done first (good protective gear, bodywork, frame sliders, safety wired)
Get your stock suspension set-up by someone that knows what they're doing!
And save your money for tires, track time and suspension components!

And have fun :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Oh man!! You are so gonna get addicted!!! HAHAHA!!! Hope you got good income! Have a good time bro. Everything said above is good advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.