Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was working on a customers 2012 aprilia tuono last night. What a nice machine, sounds very cool when you start it up, and has high quality parts all over. Rarley do I ever get to install thier "goodies" I like to call them. He purchased r&g bar ends, two sets of frame sliders and left and right side case covers $$$. So I get the oil done, the coolant replaced with engine ice, clean it up a bit. It's already past 5, I'm almost done installing everything for the day. So his frame sliders are on everything's done and I look at the very last part... They are another set of frame sliders? but a different style which uses both engine mounts instead of just one and it's more like a delrin block as aposed to the cylindrical puck style. I giggle a bit because I'm pretty sure it's one or the other that can be fitted and not both. I over heard he will be racing the bike, not sure where though. Anyone have any insight on these suckers? Before you ask, they will not work in conjunction with each other. The reason I ask is because I know a lot of people here have used r&g products before, I have not and maybe I'm missing something here.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
No, this guy probably bought both not knowing they were redundant/not able to be used in conjunction. I'd just let him know and then let him choose which to use.

This guy is gonna race but not wrench on his own bike? He's either rich or foolish.

·
Registered
663 Posts
No, this guy probably bought both not knowing they were redundant/not able to be used in conjunction. I'd just let him know and then let him choose which to use.

This guy is gonna race but not wrench on his own bike? He's either rich or foolish.
My thoughts exactly. Why wouldn't you work on your own bike?

·
Registered
209 Posts
i'm a tech and i work on high end cars and reg cars, and also love working on my bike but why the f!! would u flame someone who doesn't, seems lately like this fourm is full of flamers

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
if i could pay to have my shi+ worked on i would. Because they do it alot faster than i do, and know a hell of alot more than i do about it too.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You're correct. Today I heard he is absolutely rich apparently. There is another box of aftermarket parts waiting for his other bike he's bringing in. He's just going to send the other sliders back for this bike. Thanks for the input .net

·
Registered
663 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I want to know everything that's done to my bike, how to do it, what tools to use, etc. and the best way to do it is to do it yourself.

You're selling yourself short not learning about your bike by having it worked on. If you're not a bumbling idiot, do it yourself and save some money while learning all about your bike.

You're gonna make mistakes, sure, but that's part of learning.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
i'm a tech and i work on high end cars and reg cars, and also love working on my bike but why the f!! would u flame someone who doesn't, seems lately like this fourm is full of flamers
Flame on!!!!!! :monky:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Some people only have time to ride and don't care and/or don't have time to work on their bikes. It sounds like he only has time to ride, with the rest of his time making more money than he could save by doing the work himself.

·
OG
3,350 Posts
I rarely work on my own stuff nowadays. I've torn down old muscle cars to bare frames, built them up, extensively modifying them, rebuilt motors, trannys, rearends, even done bodywork. It just doesn't interest me anymore. What I learned is that you're a dog constantly chasing his tail. You built the motor too much for the tranny, so the tranny goes out. Then you snap an axle cuz they were only 31 spline. Then BAM a u joint blows out. It's always one thing or another. Even the paint. It will NEVER be as good as stock. When the manufacturer can bake the car before anything is bolted to it, it drastically improves the quality. So learning all this through experience made me realize that I would rather buy something from factory that has however many horses I want with the paint color I want. And then I take it to get serviced by the people who service only that type of vehicle. Because they have more knowledge about it than I will ever care to. I just don't have the desire to work on another car again in my life. And that's exactly how I feel about my street cbr, too. On my track cbr I will pick and choose what I do. I have a buddy who has been a Honda mechanic for 30 years, and has an '07 600rr that he tracks. So while I will do some things myself, I've no problem with letting him wrench on it. I personally find no joy in it anymore. The relief I get from fixing something is not worth the frustration I experience.

·
Registered
195 Posts
if it's like my R&G's for the Speedy, I will tell you that they usually come in sets of 4! 2 for the upper/front part engine mounts and 2 for the lower/behind engine mounts. Did you go to their site and compare their models for the Aprilia to see?
example:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts