Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a quick ride on my brand new bike this evening. Went to grab a burger after the ride. While sitting out side eating next to my bike, this OC Cop rolls up all fast and hops out. I am like OK, WTF... Now he is all over my bike looking for a CA plate. I am like dude relax its new. Then he further interrupts my meal because he wants to see my paper work. After he see's i was telling the truth he is like get a plate on that bike.
Now I am riding home and another OC Cop pulls me over. When he gets up to the bike he pulls out my key. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2x in less than an hour. After I again prove the bike is legal and mine I am on my way.
First off until the DMV speeds up the process there is nothing else I can do.
Next, I wish they had put the same amount of effort in finding my bike when it got stolen on the 4 th of July.

Let a guy enjoy a night ride and Double Double.

· Registered
3,111 Posts
Yeah it sounds like they were looking for someone. I live in AV and I have never had a problem with them yet. I ride home every night between 11 and midnight from work. I also just blew by a CHP on the 5 south near El Toro and he didn't even come after me. I was kinda happy about that.

· Mad Chemist
5,866 Posts
Doesn't Califronia have the temporary paper/cardboard plates? NY does and they are the size of a regular car plate. Really stupid looking but effective

· Registered
5,145 Posts
I always pocket my key when I pull over so the cops cant take it. That's messed up

· Premium Member
14,406 Posts
Cop can't take your key if you don't have one.. That sucks.. I wonder what would happen if a cop did that to you in the car?? Reached in and took out the keys..

· Registered
1,297 Posts
That is out of control, but maybe there was a report for one stolen.

That's just so you don't run cause they drive slow ass cars..

Although I would have went to the station after that and complained he scratched your triple with the key.. that's so stupid! You are already stopped!

It's like, "Hold on, let me put my helmet back on, take my license and paperwork back, get on my bike, start it, then don't touch me while I ride away!" Haha

· Registered
2,511 Posts
that sucks that they did that to you, but if its in the name of finding thieves, then i guess its alright...crap you just got me thinking...i dont know if i have my registration with my insurance on my bike...better make sure when i get home from work today..

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear what everyone is saying. They key grabbing pissed me off the most. I wish they had worked half as hard to find my bike when it was stolen. I guess that goes with having the ability to go 165MPH on 2 wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
1,264 Posts
bjbrow01 said:
I hear what everyone is saying. They key grabbing pissed me off the most. I wish they had worked half as hard to find my bike when it was stolen. I guess that goes with having the ability to go 165MPH on 2 wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry if I missed this, but did you get a new 600RR? I heard someone say something about a tripple.

· Registered
927 Posts
I look at it like this to help keep myself calm when a LEO does something like taking my keys during a stop:

Hypothetically...
Your bike was stolen from wherever. You didn't realize that you had left the key either in the ignition or in the trunk key thing. Now a thief is riding your bike and a cop pulls them over for some reason or another. The cop takes the key and the paperwork back to his patrol car. The cop realizes the bike is in fact stolen. You get your bike back and the cops have the thief.

Which conversation would you rather have with the cops:

1. We located your bike and cought the thief, you'll have it back in no time.

OR

2. Well we stopped someone on a bike today but he took off the minute I started reviewing the paperwork from my patrol car. I never took the key from him so he was able to flee.

Not that it would really happen exactly like that but I think you get the point I am trying to make. Just give the LEO the benefit of the doubt during a stop and you probably won't become half as frustrated. Believe me I have been in very frustrating situations with LEO's in the past so I understand.

B-T-W I do not work in law enforcement.

· Registered
2,511 Posts
yeah the taking the key thing would upset me too

· Registered
284 Posts
05'600RR said:
I look at it like this to help keep myself calm when a LEO does something like taking my keys during a stop:

Hypothetically...
Your bike was stolen from wherever. You didn't realize that you had left the key either in the ignition or in the trunk key thing. Now a thief is riding your bike and a cop pulls them over for some reason or another. The cop takes the key and the paperwork back to his patrol car. The cop realizes the bike is in fact stolen. You get your bike back and the cops have the thief.

Which conversation would you rather have with the cops:

1. We located your bike and cought the thief, you'll have it back in no time.

OR

2. Well we stopped someone on a bike today but he took off the minute I started reviewing the paperwork from my patrol car. I never took the key from him so he was able to flee.

Not that it would really happen exactly like that but I think you get the point I am trying to make. Just give the LEO the benefit of the doubt during a stop and you probably won't become half as frustrated. Believe me I have been in very frustrating situations with LEO's in the past so I understand.

B-T-W I do not work in law enforcement.
Makes sense, but I still woudln't like it. Gotta remember to put the keys in my pocket next time I'm pulled over.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
usmcr6 said:
I always pocket my key when I pull over so the cops cant take it. That's messed up

Yeah, reading that really made me mad for some reason. Id be pretty pissed if a cop did that to me. I always turn off the bike and pull the key out myself too.

Can they legally pull the key like that if you havent given them a reason to?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.