Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual for my 07 says to use 91 PON. I did some looking online and saw that PON is not the same as the ratings on US pumps. But from searches here it sounds like prior RRs specified a 86 RON in the manual. So, how do I convert PON to the US pump rating. In other words, do 07s need high-test gas?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
87 PON (USA) is equivalent to about 90 RON (Europe) I think so I guess we cant just throw 87 octane into any more

·
Registered
341 Posts
OH NO lol with my pcIII my bike runs better on 93.. so i stick with that. and yes it does run better with 93 after the pcIII. my friends bike (04 rr) he said was pinging.

·
Ride Red
2,041 Posts
These engines are up there with compression. I'd run the highest octane possible. Besides what's $10 a fill up anyway.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
hi octane...... it is still the same type of motor

K

·
0 Posts
Huh?

PON is what we use in the US. It's also known as the (RON+MON)/2 Method. An 82 MON and a 92 RON are the same thing, so we compromise and call it 87 PON. all the same.

Even still, the compression isn't THAT high guys. what was the 03-06? 12:1? now the 07 is 12.2:1? maybe that requires a SLIGHTLY higher octane (perhaps that's where Honda gets it's power from) but just to run über high Octane just because is kinda foolish.

I'd make doubly sure that the manuel DOES INFACT SAY 91 PON (97 RON or 85 MON otherwise).

·
Registered
735 Posts
PON is what we use in the US. It's also known as the (RON+MON)/2 Method. An 82 MON and a 92 RON are the same thing, so we compromise and call it 87 PON. all the same.

Even still, the compression isn't THAT high guys. what was the 03-06? 12:1? now the 07 is 12.2:1? maybe that requires a SLIGHTLY higher octane (perhaps that's where Honda gets it's power from) but just to run über high Octane just because is kinda foolish.

I'd make doubly sure that the manuel DOES INFACT SAY 91 PON (97 RON or 85 MON otherwise).[/quote]

:headscrat
I dont know what you just said but it sure sounded good.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The intro for the 600rr in roadracing world mentioned a knock sensor so you could run lower octane gas, albiet with reduced timing and less power.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huh?

I'd make doubly sure that the manuel DOES INFACT SAY 91 PON (97 RON or 85 MON otherwise).
It says "Pump Octane Number", which I assume is PON. So you're saying PON is what the gas stations go by, right? Sounds like I do need to use high-test then. Maybe Honda decided to publish the PON # in the US manuals so we wouldn't have to convert.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i had a kawi ninja 250 (12.4-1 comp.) and it took regular gas. the new 600rr compression is still only 12.2 - 1. use regular. premium is a waste of money.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i had a kawi ninja 250 (12.4-1 comp.) and it took regular gas. the new 600rr compression is still only 12.2 - 1. use regular. premium is a waste of money.
So is compression the only factor that determines what grade to use?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts