Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this morning i went out for my group ride and as we were riding, it started to rain. So we all pulled over to discuss cancalling. Now, as i pulled over, i put it in neutral, put down the kickstand and got off. As i got off, i noticed quite abit of smoke coming from the front of my bike, underneath the windshield. i didn't really investigate it too much as it was pouring. But the smoke was white and it didn't smell of plastic. When i finished my ride, i was in my garage and there was no smoke.

Since i'm a newbie, i don't know if this is a problem or not. Would anyone know what this is?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Nothing more than the water hitting your headers and other hot parts of the bike. It's perfectly normal. It's common to have that happen when riding in the rain and the bike gets wet. Nothing to worry about (unless it's obvious that something is burning).

So, this morning i went out for my group ride and as we were riding, it started to rain. So we all pulled over to discuss cancalling. Now, as i pulled over, i put it in neutral, put down the kickstand and got off. As i got off, i noticed quite abit of smoke coming from the front of my bike, underneath the windshield. i didn't really investigate it too much as it was pouring. But the smoke was white and it didn't smell of plastic. When i finished my ride, i was in my garage and there was no smoke.

Since i'm a newbie, i don't know if this is a problem or not. Would anyone know what this is?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it's cool. It was actually kinda funny when it happened. I know the cbr is hot, but dang..it's also SMOKING!!! Actually, I knew it wasn't coming from the engine and it didn't smell funny, so i wasn't worried. Just curious if this is a cbr thing. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Yeah it's cool. It was actually kinda funny when it happened. I know the cbr is hot, but dang..it's also SMOKING!!! Actually, I knew it wasn't coming from the engine and it didn't smell funny, so i wasn't worried. Just curious if this is a cbr thing. Thanks for the info!
no, its not a cbr thing

its a water touching hot parts thing, like exhaust pipes, and radiators, something thats on every single internal combustion engine driven vehicle in the world

(well, not radiators, as some are aircooled, but same deal)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, its not a cbr thing

its a water touching hot parts thing, like exhaust pipes, and radiators, something thats on every single internal combustion engine driven vehicle in the world

(well, not radiators, as some are aircooled, but same deal)

I agree. But i just thought it was odd, out of 10 bikes, only mine was smoking. I didn't know this was common knowledge. :shakehand

·
Friendly Neighborhood Whore
4,993 Posts

·
Registered
3,271 Posts

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
me and a couple buddies got cought in some real bad rain, when we stopped my perelli's were smoking haha

·
Friendly Neighborhood Whore
4,993 Posts

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
I think its kinda funny when I've been riding in the rain, and I come to a stop. After about 10 seconds of the smoke getting caught up in the fairings it eventually makes its way out, and now I got the double cool factor going on. Not only am I on a cbr600rr, but I got smoke too... :drunk:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
yes water + Heat = steam

Also fresh rain on a road will pick up the oils and fluids from other vehicles. That may have helped make the steam more like smoke, also could have added some scent to it of oil burning (not usually enough oil to make a strong smell unless a really leaky beater cage just drove by).

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ok since this is kinda on subject of a question I had. I've rode in the rain a few times as well, the steam doesn't bother me much. I understand that part of it, but, I get a smell of burning rubber has anyone else experienced this smell or is it just me. I went through the front end and don't seem to have a problem, no hoses melting, wires touching or any sign of burning rubber, but every time I ride in the rain I smell it, and only when riding in the rain. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts