Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I searched the forums to find answers on this but didn't find anything. So i'm hoping I looked hard enough. I don't want the guard dogs sent on me. But is it a known problem if sportsbikes or cbrs odometers seem to put miles on faster then your actually going? It seems like when I go freeway speeds my miles seem to rack up quicker even though I know the distance I'm traveling. So should I rush to a Honda dealer or is this some kind of discrepancy related to the speedometer being screwy? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
do you have gearing work done making your speedo inaccurate?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baby is bone stock, I just got the first service on it two weeks ago. I wasn't able to do too much riding. But now that school started and I commuted this week the miles are flying too fast. Its not light speed fast, but noticable. Oh and the speedo being off I refer to is the facts I've seen about it being a lil off at higher speeds.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Baby is bone stock, I just got the first service on it two weeks ago. I wasn't able to do too much riding. But now that school started and I commuted this week the miles are flying too fast. Its not light speed fast, but noticable. Oh and the speedo being off I refer to is the facts I've seen about it being a lil off at higher speeds.
right, its off ~2 - 5 %

so @ 100 mph, you would gain 2 - 5 extra miles for ever hour of travel, at 60mph its like what 1.5 - 4? per hour of travel

shrug, unless something is way off, i think its in your head man.

·
Registered
991 Posts
right, its off ~2 - 5 %

so @ 100 mph, you would gain 2 - 5 extra miles for ever hour of travel, at 60mph its like what 1.5 - 4? per hour of travel

shrug, unless something is way off, i think its in your head man.
Its a little worse than that in some cases but not by much. Mine is bone stock, no gearing changes or anything and its off by about 8% so at 60 mph that is an extra 4.8 miles added on every hour. So for every 1000 miles I actually do, my odometer reads 1080. Its not a huge deal but its definitely there. If it really bothers you go get a speedohealer.

D

·
0 Posts
Don't forget, tire size plays a big part in the recorded mileage. Use a tire smaller or larger than the stock ones, and the ratio will not be the same.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Don't forget, tire size plays a big part in the recorded mileage. Use a tire smaller or larger than the stock ones, and the ratio will not be the same.
And in comes Demented to save the day. Always thinking outside the box. What is the actual circumference difference you have seen in tires? Is it really that noticeable?

D

·
0 Posts
Never measured any, but it's noticeable. Tire profile is larger part in that, because as you lean over the tire gets smaller. A flatter tire like the stockers wont have much of a fluctuation.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The factory error is built into the speedometer only, not the odometer.... it's accurate even though the speedo is off.

Say the speedo is off 7%, you install a speedohealer and adjust it down 7% to where the speedo is reading accurate, you're odometer will now read 7% LESS than you're actually going. Already went through this whole ordeal with mine after wondering why I was coming up short on mileage on a Saddlesore 1000 ride (we went 1100 miles but it only showed 956 on my trip odo)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys for all the replies, I am going to go out and get some actual data to see how off it is or maybe I am paranoid. I will write back and await your guys' wise opinions.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The factory error is built into the speedometer only, not the odometer.... it's accurate even though the speedo is off.

Say the speedo is off 7%, you install a speedohealer and adjust it down 7% to where the speedo is reading accurate, you're odometer will now read 7% LESS than you're actually going. Already went through this whole ordeal with mine after wondering why I was coming up short on mileage on a Saddlesore 1000 ride (we went 1100 miles but it only showed 956 on my trip odo)
Really?! That sounds downright stupid to not have the two systems connected? Ive never really taken a modern one apart but I use to have an old enduro bike and all it had was a little device that went into the front wheel hub and "clicked" every revolution which had a predetermined distance like 3.5 feet (that's just a guess). So if it clicked faster it sent a signal to the speedo needle which made it go higher (indicating faster speed) while simultaneously counting the clicks as revolutions on the analog odometer.

Soooo after that long rant, how the hell do you adjust the odometer? Does it need a seperate device like a second speedo healer or are you just SOL?

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
I had a bit of a worrying moment tonight and though my bike had miraculously added 6000miles to the odometer in less than a week. Turns out I accidentally switched the display to KM rather than Miles! Was genuinely worried for a little while!

·
Registered
991 Posts
^^^^ lol I did that once as well. I looked down and was like Whhhaaatt tthhheeee F******! Just a case of fat finger syndrome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does this pretty much happen to everyones cbr? If so, is it worth just investing in one of those correcting devices early on even if there is nothing noticeable?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts