Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal, I bought a bike at a salvage place to rebuild. When i got it the gauge cluster was broke and the only working thing was the odometer, which read right around 12900. My buddy gave me a set of gauges and they're readying 23k, and I need to know how to roll these back to where they should be. thanks.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
How do they do this? Are they hacking a chip on the board? Or is this some plug-in honda thing?
I honestly don't know. It's a digital odometer, so it's not gonna be as simple as cracking it open and rolling it back. I assume they have a device to hook up to it that can reprogram it with a different mileage or something.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The legal way of taking care of this is to get a statement from the DMV showing actual miles, versus what the new cluster shows. Manipulation of an ODO is not legal in many municipalities, paid service, or done by yourself. Check with your local DMV before you spend your cash on such a service. If it's legal, there, go for it, just be aware.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
probably the voltage or amperage that sends a signal to reverse the miles.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I believe it is an eeprom on the board that stores the miles(Electronically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory).

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
ill do it any one wants to spare me the gauges i am already down two due to R&D for the gear indicator

·
Registered
194 Posts
The legal way of taking care of this is to get a statement from the DMV showing actual miles, versus what the new cluster shows. Manipulation of an ODO is not legal in many municipalities, paid service, or done by yourself. Check with your local DMV before you spend your cash on such a service. If it's legal, there, go for it, just be aware.
You are absolutely right..In fact it is a federal offense

·
Registered
523 Posts
well, for those of us who re doing it for legit purposes, anyone know how to adjust?
so would changing to gauges to show lower miles be illegal? what about gauges with lower miles and rolling it up to show more miles. any way you look at it you cant get caught if your trying to be legit about it all the dmv knows it the miles when the title is transfered and maybe when the tags are renewed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so would changing to gauges to show lower miles be illegal? what about gauges with lower miles and rolling it up to show more miles. any way you look at it you cant get caught if your trying to be legit about it all the dmv knows it the miles when the title is transfered and maybe when the tags are renewed.
exactly, the only time you'll get caught is if you're trying to screw someone over

·
Registered
83 Posts
it would be eeprom, and you cannot "roll back" the mileage by adding a voltage. You would need to erase the entire eeprom first and then you can reprogram it with whatever value you want. Youd first need to find out how the data is stored by reading from the eeprom before doing anything...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts