Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I am a fairly new owner of a 2012; I have but a few hundred miles on the bike and have loved every minute so far minus the whining sound of the stock exhaust. It is pretty sad really.

I have done some searching and have come up empty on an aftermarket exhaust solution in which looks and fits like the stock setup (this is what I prefer) yet has the sound and minimal performance of a slip on. Unfortunately I really do like the fit and finish of the stock setup. I am not a big fan of a cylinder can sitting underneath the fender and am hoping there are vendors out there that make something that has decent sound (two bros for example) but looks factory.

Many Thanks in advance as I am planning out my upgrades for the winter months to come.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think they existed either; not sure why. I can't be the only one that appreciates the stock lines and curves Honda created.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Sweet lord, you searched and found nothing; really????

Akrapovic. Fits like OEM, works better than OEM, sounds incredible (not too loud, not too quiet, removable baffle), look great, and most importantly actually gives you performance instead of noise. Works with or without heat shields, fender eliminators, IT's, whatever. And when you decide to sell the bike you will get 80% back of what you paid for them.

PM Hardracing on here for best price, link to their website:

Akrapovic Exhausts for Honda - Lowest Prices

And you guys responding: Hotbodies? Nothing? Wow......

Reactions: JohnDoubleR

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Akrapovic. Fits like OEM, works better than OEM, sounds incredible (not too loud, not too quiet, removable baffle), look great, and most importantly actually gives you performance instead of noise. Works with or without heat shields, fender eliminators, IT's, whatever. And when you decide to sell the bike you will get 80% back of what you paid for them.

Ah Nice - perhaps I was too focused on looking at Two Brothers, that or my search criteria wasn't matching what I was intending to look for. Really though I was just surprised no exhaust company just made a simple muffler like the stock that fit into the existing OEM housing/heat shield...that is until you provided that link.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Ah Nice - perhaps I was too focused on looking at Two Brothers, that or my search criteria wasn't matching what I was intending to look for. Really though I was just surprised no exhaust company just made a simple muffler like the stock that fit into the existing OEM housing/heat shield...that is until you provided that link.

Thanks!
NP, I was just surprised you didn't find anything about Akra because they are one of the most popular CBR slip-ons.

Take a look at the Yoshimura RS-5 as well; much cheaper than the Akra and still an "good" brand and is hex shaped.

Akrapovic by far is the best, though, and I dare say well worth the money.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
+1000000 for Akra

·
Maynard
7,084 Posts
Yes, Akrapovic or Yoshimura. The Leo Vince brand makes a good pipe too, it's not oval shaped like stock however. Stay away from the two bros garbage.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I didn't think they existed either; not sure why. I can't be the only one that appreciates the stock lines and curves Honda created.
I actually also happen to like and appreciate the stock lines and curves from Honda, hence my reason / motive to leave it as is. Though I'm pretty happy with the stock exhaust sounds, and I can hear the motor noises along with it too - which I like as well.

The Yoshi seems to look pretty good in the pics, and the Akra seems to be the fancy one, I hear. It's normal to realize that one will have to shell out the good moolah to acquire the nicer product. I would if I had the intention.

Honda did a great job on the design and looks of the stock exhaust. I'd hate to butcher it up and make anything else out of it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Totally agree Fanatic. Money is not the problem for my situation as it is more for aesthetics, performance and sound.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hot Bodies Exhaust

I have the hot bodies exhaust on my 07 and I love it. A lot of people on the forum have said that the quality is not that great. The only problems in quality I see are that the vertical slanted oval exhaust tip was welded with the oval being twisted to the left, and the oval isn't a perfectly shaped oval. It is impossible to tell unless you are staring straight at it for 5 minutes and begin to have a strange feeling something isn't perfectly straight.

I don't know how the hot bodies exhaust does in terms on performance however the sound in my opinion is amazing. It could be described as raspy and that's what I personally like. Compared to a yoshimura, which I had on my 08 600rr that I previously owned, it's much louder. At least 50% louder, I am not exaggerating.

Oh by the way, it fits underneath/in-between all OEM heat shields, tail-light, and etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
+1 OEM Exhaust

I actually also happen to like and appreciate the stock lines and curves from Honda, hence my reason / motive to leave it as is. Though I'm pretty happy with the stock exhaust sounds, and I can hear the motor noises along with it too - which I like as well.

The Yoshi seems to look pretty good in the pics, and the Akra seems to be the fancy one, I hear. It's normal to realize that one will have to shell out the good moolah to acquire the nicer product. I would if I had the intention.

Honda did a great job on the design and looks of the stock exhaust. I'd hate to butcher it up and make anything else out of it.
I also prefer the stock exhaust appearance and sound for pretty much the same reasons you do.

In terms of appearance, I do not understand how a aftermarket exhaust can make the bike look any cleaner than it already does. The cleanest look in my opinion, is the exhaust that is the tightest fitting/ most flush to the curvature of the bike which in my mind is the stock exhaust. I believe that even if I did not know anything about the cbr600rr, and approached someone's cbr600rr with an aftermakert exhaust, I could easily tell that the exhaust was aftermarket purely based on it not following the lines and the fitment of the rest of the bike.

In terms of sound, I would rather hear the engine than the exhaust. Unfortunately I was never given that opportunity with the cbr600rrs that I bought lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Totally agree Fanatic. Money is not the problem for my situation as it is more for aesthetics, performance and sound.
I'd offer a +1 on Akrapovic given that criteria. I'm also in the group who appreciates the stock lines. You're certainly not alone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the hot bodies exhaust on my 07 and I love it. A lot of people on the forum have said that the quality is not that great. The only problems in quality I see are that the vertical slanted oval exhaust tip was welded with oval being twisted to the left, and the oval isn't a perfectly shaped oval. It is impossible to tell unless you are staring straight at it for 5 minutes and begin to have a strange feeling something isn't perfectly straight.

I don't know how the hot bodies exhaust does in terms on performance however the sound in my opinion is amazing. It could be described as raspy and that's what I personally like. Compared to a yoshimura, which I had on my 08 600rr that I previously owned, it's much louder. At least 50% louder, I am not exaggerating.

Oh by the way, it fits underneath/in-between all OEM heat shields, tail-light, and etc.
Many Thanks for the pics; looks very nice. It'll go nicely with integrated signals.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I also prefer the stock exhaust appearance and sound for pretty much the same reasons you do.

In terms of appearance, I do not understand how a aftermarket exhaust can make the bike look any cleaner than it already does. The cleanest look in my opinion, is the exhaust that is the tightest fitting/ most flush to the curvature of the bike which in my mind is the stock exhaust. I believe that even if I did not know anything about the cbr600rr, and approached someone's cbr600rr with an aftermakert exhaust, I could easily tell that the exhaust was aftermarket purely based on it not following the lines and the fitment of the rest of the bike.

In terms of sound, I would rather hear the engine than the exhaust. Unfortunately I was never given that opportunity with the cbr600rrs that I bought lol.
Very well stated.

It would be interesting if Honda had an available higher performing and enhanced sounding exhaust as an OEM option. Or maybe not, since they've designed the standard exhaust with a fine balance of the best overall compromise.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
on my 09, OE exhaust (complete), weighs almost 40 lbs.

Arrow Indy SS full system weighs about 20 lbs.

20 lbs is serious weight savings

OE looks hideous (hoover Vac x douchebag) hybrid.

Arrow/Akra/Yoshi/LV all excellent replacements for the horribly ugly and bulbous stock exhaust.

Micron made an exhaust that had a can similar in profile to stock, but have never seen one in the real......

·
Registered
874 Posts

I just saw this thread and was about to comment the same exact thing.

Listening to you was one of the best cbr600rr related decisions I've ever made. The akra exhaust is simply amazing. High quality and the sound is orgasmic. I removed my baffle and it's so loud but doesn't sound bad. It still has that nice deep grumble to it.

Also it looks close to stock and as you said, plays well with the fender and heat shields.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I just saw this thread and was about to comment the same exact thing.

Listening to you was one of the best cbr600rr related decisions I've ever made. The akra exhaust is simply amazing. High quality and the sound is orgasmic. I removed my baffle and it's so loud but doesn't sound bad. It still has that nice deep grumble to it.

Also it looks close to stock and as you said, plays well with the fender and heat shields.

Don't take this guy's advice. He can't even catch up to a miata on a almost perfectly straight road.

I'm just playing hahahahah :grin2:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts