Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of installing my Leo Vince slip-on and holy **** I spent a whole hour just trying to remove the factory slip-on from the cat. The old slip-on is easily moving from side to side and I'm trying to wiggle it out slowly and slowly but its not coming out. I tried to bend the factory slip-on tabs so that it might be easier to wiggle it out but it's no help.

I just got frustrated and left it. Are the stock components usually mated this well? Anyone have any ideas or tips? Anyone have an experience like this and if so, what did you do? It seems like its requiring Godly strength. I just don't wanna get too rough with it in case I bend the cat pipe by mistake.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I had a bit of an issue taking the sticker of my 07.... it did come off eventually with just my hands though. But I added my akra only a year into owning the bike from new.

Twisting it with a pipe wrench should losen it

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
stilll not coming off!!!! AH

edit: I feel I should take the subframe off because the pipe keeps hitting the top of the subframe, hence why its not coming off. Even though I know its totally unnecessary, there's just no clearance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the same issue recently when i was trying to put on my new slip on. The issue i had was that the heat guard was not fully removed. Mine is an 09 but i assume its the same as yours.

There is a bolt right on the backside of the fluid reservoir that holds on the heat shield, and as soon as I removed that the pipe popped right off. It's tricky to see since it screws out towards the rider's left side of the bike.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I had the same issue recently when i was trying to put on my new slip on. The issue i had was that the heat guard was not fully removed. Mine is an 09 but i assume its the same as yours.

There is a bolt right on the backside of the fluid reservoir that holds on the heat shield, and as soon as I removed that the pipe popped right off. It's tricky to see since it screws out towards the rider's left side of the bike.

Hope that helps
did you remove all the bolts to the heat shield? i know i forgot to remove the top one and all i could do was twist and turn my pipe. once i removed the top bolt. the slip on and heat shield came out together
i really thought the pipe was fully unbolted and the brake reservoir looked to have a bolt, but it was coming thru the other side so I figured it wasnt holding anything. Will definitely try that though. Where exactly will I be unscrewing this from? From the inside? thanks guys, much appreciated

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Mine came off very easily.

Keep pulling upwards and/or rotate that connection side to side to help break the connection loose. Exhaust pipes are sometimes easier to "rotate" loose instead of pulling them apart in opposite directions.

G'luck !

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine came off very easily.

Keep pulling upwards and/or rotate that connection side to side to help break the connection loose. Exhaust pipes are sometimes easier to "rotate" loose instead of pulling them apart in opposite directions.

G'luck !
I've been doing that for an hour man. I'm hoping its the brake reservoir thing as posted above. I can say that I didn't touch any bolt on the reservoir that may be connecting to the heat shield because from the outside I didn't see the head of any screw to unbolt. Will report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hey when I got your first text last night I was a little buzzed. By the third one I was pretty much wasted. Took me like 10 minutes to put together a text that made sense...

I haven't actually changed out the exhaust system yet but I'm probably going to do it tomorrow. I'm sure I'll run into the same problem but hopefully I don't. I'm just going to keep twisting and pulling until it (hopefully) comes loose.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it guys! Yep as mentioned above, the bolt for the brake reservoir was still attached to the heat shield and it unbolts from the inside, making it impossible to see from the outside. That's why it looked like everything was unbolted. Stocker is off.

Will put the LV on in a bit... I hope I won't run into the typical leo vince install drama like many have.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yet another instance where laziness and procrastination have paid off. If I decided to swap the exhaust last week I would have run into the same problem.
But now the install should be nice and easy. :)

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I had the same problem. After taking out all the bolts attached to the exhaust. I took off the rearset and passenger peg. Then flipped up the rearset to get the brake lines out of the way. And wiggled the stock slip on till I could clear the tail. Then just kept pulling it to the right side of the bike. I eventually got it off. I think I had to have my mom help me haha. Two hands just weren't enough. It was a PITA though.

Edit: didnt see that u got it in the last post.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts