Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So,
Today I'm hella bored and I decide to got for a ride out to the Airport (visit a bud that works out there). I ride across town and take a left onto the highway towards the airport. I hang another left a short while later onto "airport road". Which, it just do happens, has just been freshly asphalted and has some nice turns. I was behind a couple cars going grandma speed so I waited until I could make 100% sure the coast was clear in the opposing lane and proceeded to pass the cagers. All is cool, nothing crazy, I didn't go too fast because it's already pretty nippy here this time of year.

So I pull into the parking lot where my friend works. Not too sure if he's there or not so I call. No answer. 'Hmmm, maybe he went home.' So I thought I would just drive over to his house, which happens to be very near the airport. Just as I'm putting on my helmet some dude in a mazda comes flying into the stall next to me. I didn't really pay much attention to him.

Dude gets out and says "TAKE YOUR HELMET OFF!"
I was like "What? Why?"
"TAKE YOUR HELMET OFF"
"oK, F*ck, settle down"
"Were you the one who passed me back there?" he asks
"Me? Just now?"
"Yea" He says, all torqued up and a bit nervous.
"Yeah maybe, I don't know" I said.
"I'm a cop, blah blah blah, passing on a solid line, blah blah blah, drivin all crazy..." He lectures.
"Yeah, so, what do you want me to say?"
"You know about the guy that got killed back there?" He asked
"Yeah as a matter of fact, I did." I say, quelling his upcomming lecture about the guy who drove his brand new 1000 into the side of a dump truck. (a squid btw)
"Your gonna kill someone, blah blah blah... " He looks at my plate "and thats illegal" (meaning the way my plate was mounted) reads plate (outloud, I guess he has trouble reading in his head) "I'll be talking to you on wednesday when I get back to work..." Gets back in his car with the 3 other people (I figure he was trying to show off to) and drives off.

LOL! I told my friend, when he showed up, who is a little older and has had much harassment from the police over the years. He laughed and said he wouldn't have been as polite as I was. He also noted that hundreds of other people in cages do that every day with no trouble from the cops. He was pretty young, the cop, so I understand... to a point. But come on. I hope he phones me on Wednesday. It's to bad I won't be in town that day.

I'm sure the safety Nazis will chime right in now about how the cop was right and I'm evil for passing when it was safe to do so. I don't care. I'm content with my actions. Just thought I would share that funny story. I'll post what happens on Wednesday.

Cliff notes:
-Went for ride.
-Passed some cagers doing snail speed.
-Off duty cop try's to be a security guard and succeeds.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Aight, me personally, being LE and a rider. I would have let that slide. There's more than enough time on a 12 to 18 hr shift to do your job. IMHO.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aight, me personally, being LE and a rider. I would have let that slide. There's more than enough time on a 12 to 18 hr shift to do your job. IMHO.
That would be my position as well. I salute you for not being a turd-head cop. :icon_salu

·
Registered
460 Posts
That's pretty stupid for the off duty leo to act that way. I was not surprised to read that though. I would have threw a few special words at him and harrass him right back. Pisses me off.

Keep on riding the same way you described. No problems here.

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
crazy cop on a power trip. Here in CA i believe that would be considered legal. So how unsafe could it be.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I generally respect law enforcement as they have a tough job. But there are a few head trips with huge ego issues that become cops and use the badge to be "tough guys".

Too much testoterone combined with and small mind and a weak ego can be a bad thing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am also an officer and rider. If that would have been me I would have let him slide. If the coast was clear and I could have made the same pass on my own bike, no problem. It's just that some officers are on a power trip 24/7. Leave the job in the office or patrol car and enjoy life.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Bad cop to good cop ratio is way out of control. New measures of testing are needed ensuring good cops are the only ones being promoted. Then thin the herd on the rest, or stick them all in sh!tty neighborhoods were no one(including the Residents) cares about any way.

Im sick of cops that bust your balls just because they can. With out the badge they would be catching a dirt nap on a daily basis .

K

·
0 Posts
So,
I'm sure the safety nazis will chime right in now about how the cop was right and I'm evil for passing when it was safe to do so. I don't care. I'm content with my actions. Just thought I would share that funny story.
Well, to be fair, he was right on everything (assuming you've got your plate where everyone else who does a F/E puts it). I'm not sure how fast "Grandma Speed" is, but the fact of the matter is you made an illegal pass. now i'm not sure what the circumstances of why the area was double yellow but there's probably good enough reason. motorcycles are different though, and i really wish the DOT and lawmakers would understand that. I've made some double yellow passes before, some in rather dumb areas (some not so dumb), and i understand why you did what you did. going around a corner marked at a suggested 50 MPH does not mean go 30. i can take that in my overweight truck at 60 so i go ahead and i've made that pass. I'm not saying it's right, just that i understand.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm sure the safety nazis will chime right in now about how the cop was right and I'm evil for passing when it was safe to do so. I don't care. I'm content with my actions. Just thought I would share that funny story.
Well, you got one part right. Your personal impatience would be a silly reason to die.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i hate cops who try to enforce the law when they are off duty and in other places outside of their jurisdiction.
So if you were getting mugged or something and an off-duty cop saw and decided "Oh well, Im off duty so the hell with enforcing the law" that would be ok with you? I mean, he is off-duty.

Im currently in the process for LE and I know what its like to get hassled for no good reason. I wouldnt go on a power trip and for the most part I'd leave work at work. I certainly wouldnt try to enforce traffic laws when off duty unless there were exceptional circumstances. To say you hate cops who try to enforce the law when off duty is just dumb.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i hate cops who try to enforce the law when they are off duty and in other places outside of their jurisdiction.
Well, it depends on the offense. As one who carries an TN Law Enforcement Commission, but not Police Officer as my primary duties, I would jump into the role, (and have), for a serious offense, (Robbery, Burglary, etc..), but, then again, I guess I would intervene in those situations as a citizen anyway.

The guy is most likely fairly new and will give up trying to, "save the world" in a year or so. Any Police Officer commissioned in the state of Tennessee has jurisdiction throughout the state, but I understand your point.

Off topic, There is some nice riding to be had near Johnson City:icon_supe

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
^^^ I agree with Erjay on that one. In the end it is a judgment call that all LEO's must make. In this case he clearly was just showing off, sadly most rooks do that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
juice + rookie cop = a**h*le in my part of the bay area

i agree with everyone leave work at work....that off duty was definately just trying to show off....i ran into a few off duty cops that have big ego trips especially when they are carrying there concealed weapon

1 - 20 of 41 Posts