Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a chance to grab an Ohlins rear shock for a good price. I don't do track days at the moment so I'm wondering if it's work it to grab this for the street... Thoughts?

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Personally, I can think of better ways to spend that money. It isn't needed on a street only bike.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
Do it. You won't regret it. Especially if it's not totally ran down and is in good working order and properly set.

When I out mine on, just riding down the street felt better, so much better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
903 Posts
Stock shock with the suspension properly set up is plenty capable for serious twisty strafing. Especially since most people sort out one setting to cover all their street riding conditions. Ohlins or similar really comes into it's own for racers & regular track day riders where they may refine & have a book of different specific settings for the tracks & conditions they frequent. It's the luxury of how an Ohlins does the same functions better & easier to tweak. No shame in having Ohlins on a streetbike though. No one really needs braided brake lines, radial master cylinders, race intake & exhaust parts, 520 chain conversions, rear sets, forged wheels, or any other go-fast bolt on goodies for the street either but that's not stopping us.

I picked up an Ohlins TTX shock too fairly recently. Didn't get a chance to put it on at the end of the season but I have one thing I absolutely like about it. The hydraulic preload adjuster and knobbed R&C controls. I have to commute through the banged up roads & parkways in and around NYC to get to my favorite twisties outside the city. I'm liking the idea of sorting out a setup that is decent for canyon carving then softening it up some for the commute there and back. 5 minute adjustment at the side of the road without tools. Can't do that with the stock shock.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,769 Posts
i am going to answer this question with absolute certainty and you will be supremely happy with my answer.

it depends.

an ohlins shock will be a benefit on the street if you like to ride fast and the roads you frequent are a bit rough and bumpy. the ohlins is much more compliant than the stocker, and i find it to be more accurate (if that makes sense?). i can ride FAST over bumpy and uneven surfaces and the ohlins will just take care of it. this kind of stuff would really mess up the stock shock.

if your roads are pool table smooth and you have 2" chicken strips, forget it. if you like to ride fast and you're finding the bike feels vague and uneasy on the uneven roads, you'll absolutely love it.

on the track is a whole different story, but we won't go there.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I cant speak on the performance side of ohlins because I dont have any experience with them but I'd go ahead and get it if it's at a good price. If you get it set for your weight and put it on then you have a really nice road suspension. If you feel like you dont utilize it then just sell it and make a few bucks or break even. No harm done.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
do it, it is an upgrade you will enjoy.

get the shock and your forks sprung correctly,(change oil in forks)

there was a great deal on here a while ago for a pair of old style Ohlins fork carts

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Lol, most people don't even have their suspension setup for them. You want Ohlins, I get that. If you have to ask, you won't ride hard enough to benefit from it.

Do you have all the proper gear? Is your bike paid for? So much extra cash that it's like paying for lunch?

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
Just my opinion but I gotta agree that getting your suspension set up for your weight/riding style might be better value for money if you haven't done that already. I had mine done and it made the bike feel much more compliant and confidence inspiring.

It's your bike and you can buy/fit what you like but it depends on your skill level as to whether you'll get the most out of it. Personally I know I'm not capable of outriding the stock suspension on normal roads when it's properly set up and I'll run out of talent long before my bike runs out of performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts