Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need help. I noticed a stain in my drive way after taking a break from riding. There is a fluid leaking from one of the two drain tubes. It has the smell of gas, but has the tint and texture of oil. the bike is a 2008 cbr600rr, w/5000 miles. Oil is changed every 2000 miles and i use 3 quarts of amsoil 10w-40. I don't know if it is relevant but I just installed a 2 bros. slip-on a week ago. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If the fluid is visually leaking (drop, drop, drop...) then we have a problem. Otherwise, it sounds like a little patch just sitting there after a while and that shouldn't be an issue. I've seen that under my bike, smelled the same, felt the same, I just figured "hey, they're drain tubes for a reason"...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If I fill my 07 slam full of gas on a hot engine and park it for a few minutes. The tanks will heat up and sweat gas out the vent tube . Only when parked slam full and hot. You may have ran into that situation as well .

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
That oily drip down near the kickstand? That's probably coming from the drive sprocket area. It's a common place for chain fling too drip down from. On my 06 it drips down the front side of the sprocket and then down the side of the oil pan and kickstand area to the floor. Are you sure it is actually fluid coming out the tube? Check again with a light and trace the drips. Wipe it and go ride a bit then check again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I layed down on the ground and looked up near, around, and in the tube. The fluid is definitly coming from in the tube. The tank is 3/4 full. However I wiped the tube dry, rode it and checked again. It is not leaking any more, or at the moment. I guess I'll take it to the stealership if I see it again. Thank you for the replies though, much appreciated! Quick question if anyone wants to give there .02 , should I look into a extended warrany before the factory runs out?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
should I look into a extended warrany before the factory runs out?
Depends. If you can afford to throw down that cash on some extra piece of mind go for it. It's also a good thing to have when selling the bike. Do I think you will actually end up using it? NO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
my 06 is black and the tank get hot as hell when sitting in the sun mine will sometimes drip a few drops makes a spot about the size of a quarter

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
one of those is a coolant overflow hose, the other is a fuel overflow hose. it is either coolant, fuel, or both- not oil.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One hose is a coolant overflow tube, one is a crankcase ventilation tube (heat will expell tiny amounts of oil) don't worry about it, and the other is the fuel tank vent tube.

I had an issue once with these tubes that I was un-aware of. I was doing a trackday and had full race bodywork on the bike. Meaning that the underbelly was toatally enclosed. Well, the night befor the trackday, it rained like Pigs and rabbits. The underbelly had about three inches of water sitting there (did not have a drain hole/plug installe yet). When I started the bike, it ran fine for about 5 seconds then died. What I didn't know was, when the fuel pump primes and that little vent tube from the tank was submerged in the water was bad ju-ju. When the pump primed (creating a vacuum) it sucked up a bunch of water and ceremoniously introduced it into the gas tank....water in fuel.....very bad. Anyway, I was up 'til 2am trying to drain all the gas out of the tank and lines. But the spark plugs were soaked with water droplets and would not fire. I had to wait until the local bike shop opened to get new plugs to install. I missed the first hour of the track day trying to get the bike to run.

Lesson learned on my part....$67 for 4 plugs....what a day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i am having the exact same issue. oil substance with gas odor coming out of one of the vent tubes. 2010 cbr600rr 5000mi. just occured today for the first time. idk what the deal is with it????!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Could be gas mixing with chain lube leaking down...

My advice: Don't worry about it unless it continues to happen.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I think that's crankcase breather blowby fluid. Its supposed to go back into the airbox to be sucked back into the engine. Older Honda's (CB) had a stopper plug at the end of the drain tube. You would remove the plug and nasty brown oil and gas would come out.

Check to make sure the tube isnt gummed up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One hose is a coolant overflow tube, one is a crankcase ventilation tube (heat will expell tiny amounts of oil) don't worry about it, and the other is the fuel tank vent tube.

I had an issue once with these tubes that I was un-aware of. I was doing a trackday and had full race bodywork on the bike. Meaning that the underbelly was toatally enclosed. Well, the night befor the trackday, it rained like Pigs and rabbits. The underbelly had about three inches of water sitting there (did not have a drain hole/plug installe yet). When I started the bike, it ran fine for about 5 seconds then died. What I didn't know was, when the fuel pump primes and that little vent tube from the tank was submerged in the water was bad ju-ju. When the pump primed (creating a vacuum) it sucked up a bunch of water and ceremoniously introduced it into the gas tank....water in fuel.....very bad. Anyway, I was up 'til 2am trying to drain all the gas out of the tank and lines. But the spark plugs were soaked with water droplets and would not fire. I had to wait until the local bike shop opened to get new plugs to install. I missed the first hour of the track day trying to get the bike to run.

Lesson learned on my part....$67 for 4 plugs....what a day.
i had broken cap on my 09 when bought it $1500 bucks but i cycled the pump and used my mighty vac handheld vacuum pump and i managed to get dam near a gallon out of the bottom of the tank crazy it ran but just wouldn't rev up but kept dumping fuel back in then drained it all out after getting both sides of the tank works for mower but just got new$25 lock and ignition switch yesterday from Amazon so now just have to unhotwire it or key delete like many people asking on here they have tapped into front blinkers my rear taillight has intergraded turn signals and new Michelin pilot road 4s next month aftermarket plastics and i will have enough OEM's to pay for a unpainted set way i see it its scratches just now i won't be pissed if i get another one i figured it was still cheaper then anything else with clear title and 25k miles and no smoke so i can see it was taken care of before it was stolen but its not too crashed to ride i didn't even plan on getting bike but i googled others and track only rebuilds going for$5k so i was like rr it is then i rode it and i will get another one if anything happens to this my 96f3 was last bike but my first injection bike its great not to have to mess with the carbs nice to only need 10 bucks at gas station not a $50 like my f150 but its 97 with 5.4 and 4.11 gears ?

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts