Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was taking off my stator cover to paint it last night and once I poped it off I noticed that quite a bit of oil came out. Is there supposed to be oil in your stator cover? It surprised me because I wouldn't think that thered be oil in an electrical component.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes, there's supposed to be oil in there for cooling. That's why you need to seal it up with RTV when you put the cover back on.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Okay good just wasn't expecting it being that its electrical. Thanks for the feedback.
look at it closely. you'll see that it has a thick coating on it to protect it. when you put the bolts back on, use a smaller torque wrench to torque them down. i used a big one @ 7lbs and i snapped the bolt head off. it was an easy fix though. also, when you do the liquid gasket, you dont need to make it 1/4 inch thick. a light bead will due just fine bead

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
look at it closely. you'll see that it has a thick coating on it to protect it. when you put the bolts back on, use a smaller torque wrench to torque them down. i used a big one @ 7lbs and i snapped the bolt head off. it was an easy fix though. also, when you do the liquid gasket, you dont need to make it 1/4 inch thick. a light bead will due just fine bead

Thanks for the tip. is 7lbs the spec?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Thin layer on both surfaces. Let it get tacky before replacing cover. Make sure you remove all the old material and clean both sides well with alcohol or mineral spirits first.
Hold onto the cover tight when you go to replace it/match up the surfaces. The magnet in the stator will snatch it out of your hand if not.
I think it's 8 ft/lbs torque for the bolts. Either way, just be gentle with them and only tighten til snug, or you will squeeze the gasket material out.
Alternate tightening bolts across from each other.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thin layer on both surfaces. Let it get tacky before replacing cover. Make sure you remove all the old material and clean both sides well with alcohol or mineral spirits first.
Hold onto the cover tight when you go to replace it/match up the surfaces. The magnet in the stator will snatch it out of your hand if not.
I think it's 8 ft/lbs torque for the bolts. Either way, just be gentle with them and only tighten til snug, or you will squeeze the gasket material out.
Alternate tightening bolts across from each other.
O yeah almost forgot the alternating oppisite side bolts! Nice call buddy! :shakehand

1 - 11 of 11 Posts