Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok i know theres thousands of threads on this but im getting mixed opinions

so i just got my 09 cbr600 it has 700 miles on it..

idk if it got an oil change yet because it was from a dealer and they told me they didnt change the oil

sooo.. i was about to get some syn repsol but they said not to because it will burn out the clutch and i have too low miles and to use regular gn honda oil..

so should i just change it wit the gn4?

and also 10/30 or 40? the manual says 10/30 but then it shows a chart saying 10/40 from 60 degrees up..

so thats confusing too..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well of course running what the owners manual lists is always a worry free route. You can't go wrong there.

I have a local moto shop very close to my house, but they don't carry anything Honda branded.

So, I run Motul 10w40 + a K&N filter. (Semi-Synthetic Blend)

Driving 15 miles to get something with Honda written on the bottle is not reason enough to go the extra distance.

Just a rule of thumb, if in doubt just change it.
Sure it will cost you $40 but better safe than sorry if you don't know the history.

With 700 miles that bike is barely through break in.
Just change the oil and take it easy on it for another 1000 miles.

Then I would change it again and begin regular change intervals based on the manufacturers/owners manual recommends.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just a rant, but why in the heck do people get bikes and ride them so little?
God I put 1000 miles on mine in a month. :)

Just change your oil and put some miles on that sucker.
Be careful out there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just a rant, but why in the heck do people get bikes and ride them so little?
God I put 1000 miles on mine in a month. :)

Just change your oil and put some miles on that sucker.
Be careful out there.
+1

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well can anyone confirm running synthetic this early is bad or that it will burn out the clutch? and about the 10/30 or 40

·
Registered
561 Posts
did you spill half a quart or something? I just did mine yesterday and 3 quarts was perfect on the oil level sight glass.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You can run regular OR synthetic. Either or. Does NOT matter. Synthetic will not harm your bike in the least. You can run 30 or 40 weight.

With this few a miles I'd just go to wal mart and get a gallon of Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic in the blue jug. Use the filter of your choice. Change it out. If you're dead set on using a conventional (non synthetic) get a bottle of Rotella 15w-40 in the white jug. Laugh if you want...it is marketed as a heavy duty diesel engine oil BUT it's JASO MA rated (both are) and probably the best conventional oil you can buy.

Rotella is good stuff and it's not expensive.

I've used Rotella, Mobil 1, and Amsoil in my 07 RR. They all work fine. I honestly prefer Amsoil but they're all good. I always use 40w.

Good oils that you can use that are proven performers:

Amsoil
Mobil 1 4T
Rotella
Repsol
Motul
Silkolene
Redline
Honda GN4
Yamalube
....and about a zillion others.

JASO MA = Wet clutch safe
"energy conserving" sunburst = NOT wet clutch safe

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no i didnt spill anything its inbetween the half and lower.. maby i didnt let the oil out of the quarts good enough or maby cuz i changed the filter there was more oil needed

·
Registered
755 Posts
ok i know theres thousands of threads on this but im getting mixed opinions

so i just got my 09 cbr600 it has 700 miles on it..

idk if it got an oil change yet because it was from a dealer and they told me they didnt change the oil

sooo.. i was about to get some syn repsol but they said not to because it will burn out the clutch and i have too low miles and to use regular gn honda oil..

so should i just change it wit the gn4?

and also 10/30 or 40? the manual says 10/30 but then it shows a chart saying 10/40 from 60 degrees up..

so thats confusing too..

Syn or non-syn has nothing to do with your clutch. That's BS. If the oil is not designed for a motorcycle(wet clutch) then you'll have problems. The full syn vs. non syn has to do with break in of the engine. This can be argued till the end of time but my view is that it will NOT hurt anything running non syn for 1 interval but if I run full syn too early it may/could ruin somthing so now it's up to you. Anyway I was told to change the oil at 6 or 7 hundred with just normal(non-syn) motorcycle oil, then at 1500 go to full syn and stay ful syn from then on. Also grab a magnetic drain plug from magneticdrainplug.com so you can get all the metal shaving your engine creates while breaking in. Don't run 5w. Your bike calls for 10w-30 or 10w-40 depending on the weather. If your bike never sees below 60 degrees then run 10w-40, if it doesn't see below 60 degree weather then run 10w-30. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts