Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil on my 04 rr yesterday and today I notice the bike is running about 5 or 6 degrees hotter that it was before. It usually runs at about 176 on the highway and this morning it stayed between 181 and 183. I used the Honda GN4 10w40 which is what the bike had in it previously. Any ideas?

·
Registered
543 Posts
weather has alot to do with it summer just started... probably a little warmer than before...nothing to be worried about still within normal operating temps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is kinda weird. I think I read that overfilling will make the bike run hotter... need someone else to confirm though.
I wondered about that, today when i got home from work the oil was above the full line on the sight window, but after about ten minutes it was even with the top line. I was tempted to crack the drain plug open and let a little out.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Filling oil is a little deceiving, it takes 2 minutes or so of the engine being on before you can get a true oil level reading after changing the oil. It's very tempting to keep adding, but it's best to just stick to a pre measured amount.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Filling oil is a little deceiving, it takes 2 minutes or so of the engine being on before you can get a true oil level reading after changing the oil. It's very tempting to keep adding, but it's best to just stick to a pre measured amount.
Do you think that having a little too much oil could cause the bike to run a little hotter? Like I said earlier, when I got home from work and the bike was hot, the oil level completely filled the sight window, but after sitting for about 10 minutes it was exactly even with the full line. It just struck me as odd that the bike ran 6 degrees hotter on the highway than it did yesterday. I know 6 degrees isn't much, but little things like that bug the crap out of me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Your oil level is fine, no need to drain any. You should always wait 10 minutes or longer after the bike has been running to view the site glass for oil level. It takes at least that long for all the oil to drain off the gears, clutches, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts