Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was changing my oil today and i noticed no oil was being filled into the oil level window. Regardless of the oil not filling the window i still filled the oil tank with the proper amount. What could be the problem with this?

·
One Nut Racer
1,665 Posts
make sure bike is standing straight up. have someone hold it up and look at level. if still not in window with proper amount put in check the amount needed and cheeck for a leak!

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
did you have the bike standing level, or on the side stand?

if on side stand, pull it level | <-- like that and check again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had the bike on a front and rear stand off the ground. i inspected for leaks and could not find any.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Mine does the same thing and when I change my friends gsxr 1000's oil it does the same thing. When I change it I add about 1 1/2 quarts oil and then I start it and let it warm up for a few minutes then shut it off after doing this I check the window and it shows the amount of oil in the window. I believe the oil needs to cycle before it will show. Don't know how you were taught to change oil but I was always taught you add about half your oil then you start the bike and check for leaks as it warms up after it is warm shut it off and add the remaining oil as you watch the window to make sure you do't add to much.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Mine does the same thing and when I change my friends gsxr 1000's oil it does the same thing. When I change it I add about 1 1/2 quarts oil and then I start it and let it warm up for a few minutes then shut it off after doing this I check the window and it shows the amount of oil in the window. I believe the oil needs to cycle before it will show. Don't know how you were taught to change oil but I was always taught you add about half your oil then you start the bike and check for leaks as it warms up after it is warm shut it off and add the remaining oil as you watch the window to make sure you do't add to much.

wow, this whole thing is wrong

no, it doesnt need to cycle oil for it to show, its a direct window into the open crank case ....

and who the hell would teach some one to run a motor on half oil? WHY would you do that? it probably will not harm it, but why take that risk?

i might agree with a "well, the book calls for 3.1 qts, so add 2.5 then run it ...

meh, i digress.

·
One Nut Racer
1,665 Posts
i agree with tenjin
being an a.s.e. tech i can tell you a engine only requires half of capacity to function
( small block chevy 350 i.e. has a cap of 6 qts only reqquires 3qt to lube the engine the other three is for cooling. while engine pumps qt from bottom of engine qt already has gone thru the engine and has gottn warm so sits in pan and "cools" untill next time around)

but u still need to have engine cap met for engine to function properly or oil with not cool and breakdown alot faster

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
You can pour it in until it appears in the peep window. If you've also replaced the filter, fire it up and let it warm up. This will allow the oil to get into the filter and throughout the motor. Once you shut it down, give it a few minutes and fill it until you see it in the glass again. That's how I do it.

·
Registered
436 Posts

no, it doesnt need to cycle oil for it to show, its a direct window into the open crank case ....

and who the hell would teach some one to run a motor on half oil? WHY would you do that? it probably will not harm it, but why take that risk?

i might agree with a "well, the book calls for 3.1 qts, so add 2.5 then run it ...

meh, i digress.
My oil will not show in the window until it cycles and neither will the gsxr's so in my experience with the 2 bikes I have had to deal with it has to cycle to show... not saying it has to with all bikes but I can almost bet if the OP starts his bike lets it warm up then checks the window the oil will show..... I was told how to change my oil by a mechanic at one of the local Honda shops.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
hmmm interesting.... perhaps there is more than one way to do it. lol is it most often is. GL lets us know what works OP!

·
Registered
28,565 Posts

meh, i digress.
oh mang, for crying out loud...dont spazzz out! it wont damage it. hes just starting it to cycle. no revving, riding, or any additional stress to the motor.

you guys and tenjin crack me up! :crackup:

with a filter change, fill with 3 qts and no more. if it doesnt show while standing straight. then start the bike and cycle it. then recheck the window. add more only if necessary.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
My oil will not show in the window until it cycles and neither will the gsxr's so in my experience with the 2 bikes I have had to deal with it has to cycle to show... not saying it has to with all bikes but I can almost bet if the OP starts his bike lets it warm up then checks the window the oil will show..... I was told how to change my oil by a mechanic at one of the local Honda shops.

Its just odd how I'm interpreting it. It seems you're implying when you cycle it the level rises in the oil pan. When you say "cycle" that means run it to temp right? If you changed the filter, the oil level in the pan will drop because its filled the filter and the crevasses throughout the motor. It simply doesn't make sense the way you're explaining it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
oh mang, for crying out loud...dont spazzz out! it wont damage it. hes just starting it to cycle. no revving, riding, or any additional stress to the motor.

you guys and tenjin crack me up! :crackup:

with a filter change, fill with 3 qts and no more. if it doesnt show while standing straight. then start the bike and cycle it. then recheck the window. add more only if necessary.
:+1: I'm always open to others opinions and ways of doing things. If someone tells me how to do something and their way is easier, better,faster than how I do it I'm grateful...Being a Female I get a lot of **** from male riders. I also get a lot of positive feedback from them also so take it easy on me guys this is my 4th riding season and I do almost all the work on my bike myself unlike half the guys on this site.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Its just odd how I'm interpreting it. It seems you're implying when you cycle it the level rises in the oil pan. When you say "cycle" that means run it to temp right? If you changed the filter, the oil level in the pan will drop because its filled the filter and the crevasses throughout the motor. It simply doesn't make sense the way you're explaining it.
Yeah when I say cycle it I mean I warm it up for a few minutes then turn it off and then the oil shows in the window then I add the last quart or so until it is at the full line I'm not a mechanic so I can't explain why it happens this way but it does and I always run a new filter when I change the oil.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
:+1: I'm always open to others opinions and ways of doing things. If someone tells me how to do something and their way is easier, better,faster than how I do it I'm grateful...Being a Female I get a lot of **** from male riders. I also get a lot of positive feedback from them also so take it easy on me guys this is my 4th riding season and I do almost all the work on my bike myself unlike half the guys on this site.

Kudos on working on your own machine. Do you set it on the side stand while you're initially filling it up? That's all I can think of that makes sense.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts