Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
to know JUST how often you should be doing oil changes will require some work on your part

It will ask information about how many miles, how many miles on current oil, so on so forth, fill out it, send in the sample that they require

they will send you feed back, with what the apparent condition of your motor is in based on wear, and how well the oil has held up, They will often make reccomendations to you (extend miles between changes because all is good!), or decrease distance between changes because its no beuno,

as long as you continue to send in the reports you will have a working history of what your oil is doing, and you will be able to watch your motor wear down, and you will be able to adjust your oil change intervals based on that

do this for every oil change,

·
Registered
666 Posts
I do not mean anything wrong, but could you direct me to where does it say (which page) to keep the RPM as low as possible and that because of not doing so you should change oil more frequently?

I read the entire owner's manual and I cannot find that information. Also, the service manual does not mention something like that. Maybe it's because I have a EURO owner's manual, but I thought they were the same.

I did find this oil related warning in the manual:
"Change the engine oil as specified in the maintenance schedule. When running in very dusty conditions oil changes should be performed more frequently than specified in the maintenance schedule".

I think you should comfortably get to 8k miles if you are driving your bike like (as Honda states) a "Super Sport" motorcycle. Also, a thing to consider is that most of us use engine oils that exceed the prescribed standards "API SG" and "JASO T 903 MA", so we should do that mileage with no problems.

I don't know what to say about the fact that you feel a severe difference in shifts and RPM's after only 2k miles. Maybe it's a placebo, and maybe you really feel it, but I think that is possible only in track use conditions (I can see your avatar so that is possible).

1l of MOTUL 300v 10W-40, that I use, costs 27$, and you need almost 3l so - 3x27=81$ + oil filter). If you change your oil once a year (or max 8k miles) you are protecting the environment and saving money (if you save 80$+ a year, in two years you can buy a helmet, gloves,...).

I do agree that it is well worth the peace of mind, but the maintenance schedule is there so you do not have to worry too much if you stick by it. I do not see people lubricating their chains every 250 miles, checking valve clearance every 8 k miles, replacing brake fluid every 6 k miles (or 1 year) or doing anything similar at a double frequency then the manual prescribes, for the same piece of mind.

The thing is, average (maybe even people that ride more) get to 24k miles in a little more than 6 years, so they should have changed their oil at least 6 times by then (+1 for running in period).

Again I do not have anything against you, and I respect your opinion. This is just an exchange of thoughts.

Everything that I said here applies when you use your motorcycle on the road, not the track.
I'll try to find my owners manual. I remember reading something chose to that. Numbers may be a little off but I'll find the manual when I get home. It was some stupid numbers though. I'll get back to you.

Wasn't placebo. I would change oil and shifting instantly got smoother and engine sounds smoother. Probably a little paranoia but well worth peace of mind. I've heard many other people refer to the same feeling as well.

You sir are buying the wrong oil. Expensive doesn't mean better. I use shell rotella at $20 a gallon and a basic $10 filter. From the tests ive seen. Amsoil, mobil 1, and shell are all top oil brands and all run cheaper than $80 per change. I've used all 3 brands and can't tell any difference in engine life or quality... Well maybe amsoil by a little. But the $20 tag on shell keeps me coming back.

Everything I stated was from experience before I ever went to the track. Bike gets her change every 2 track days now... Around 200 miles. Also, I've done 20k street miles over 2.5 years. 8k a year very possible... So question stands. Would you buy that bike? Obviously it would be in need of a change after you bought it and that is considering a 600 mike change for break in.

No offense taken at all. Its a public forum. Feel free to challenge anything I say. back when I road on the street, I did ruin a chain from not lubing it enough and after bleeding year old brake fluid, you can definitely tell a difference... Valves are 16k. Usually good until 32 k though. Oil is the only thing I (and many others) don't agree with in that table.

Having said all that though, honda engines are extremely resiliant and I have never heard of any trouble from any of these engines. Just love the feel of new oil and clean shifts.

·
Registered
666 Posts
K, found it. Page 56 in my manual. Recommends shifting to 6th at 37 mph. Downshift from 6th at 28 mph. In all fairness though, it doesn't recommend it because of engine like I thought I remembered though. I apologize for that and retract that statement. I was wrong. Read it a year ago and remembered bits and pieces but not all the specifics. Still don't recommend holding a speed at that low of rpm and it is possible that helped raise their scheduled oil change interval but that isn't stated in the manual so not going to claim this statement as recommended by honda. The only real way to see if your oil went too long in the bike is to send it off to blackstone to test. The rest of the graph for those without the manual is:

Shift to 2nd at 12 mph
shift to 3rd at 19 mph
shift to 4th at 25 mph
shift to 5th at 31 mph
shift to 6th at 37 mph

down to 5 at 28
down to 4 at 22
down to 3rd at 16

·
Registered
249 Posts
OK boys.. not to jack the thread.. but since its about oil... can you guys list a few places where I can order the oil for a cheaper price ? like some said.. it cost them $25 for a DIY ? where are you buying your stuff ? please share the info thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
$25 diy will cover oil only and that's if you do Rotella T-6.

If you want a different synthetic (Amsoil, Redline, etc) you're going to be in the $12/qt range or $48 plus a filter.

·
BOTM Winner 09/12 Repsol DaRizzo And Don't U Forg
17,681 Posts
If T6 is $20 for 1 gallon, and an oil change takes 3 quarts, then the cost of oil for one change is $15 (20 * 3/4).
I Just went and got that stuff! It's in a blue bottle made by shell. 24 at autoZone and 21 at walmart

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
128 Posts
I normally use Motul non synthetic and they sell for like $35 a gallon I think. It takes me about $50 to do an oil change and I change mine every 3000 miles. For some reason the oil always looks really dirty even after 1000 miles. Does anyone experience this?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
8000 is under ideal conditions. When the OEM does not list Severe Service intervals, the listed mileage should be cut by 50%.

According to the API, over 98% of driving is considered "Severe" and I would venture to say that an average Sportbike exceeds even the 'Severe" category.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
What BS. You trust them to build a bike that is reliable and won't fall apart on the road and you don't think they can get the service intervals right? It is Honda's best interest to put intervals that keep there vehicles running reliably, especially with something as cheap as changing the oil. They having everything to lose and nothing to gain if they make the interval unsafely high. The truth is, there a negligible difference going to more frequent oil changes.

Of course oil companies want you to change your twice as often as you need to.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
A lot of us are conditioned to replace oil for cars every 3,000 miles. So applying that same number to motorcycles makes it easy to remember. It doesn't hurt to change the oil more often than specified. Especially w/ the far higher revs that these engines get (versus cars), for me, it makes sense to change it earlier.
I haven't seen any care made in the last 10 years that has 3k intervals in the manual. My car is 6k I believe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Honda Civic 1.8 is maintained according to the manufactures instructions, and by those, oil changes are every 15 500 miles (25 000 km). The car now has 77 600 miles (125 000 km) and had no problems at all - no oil loss between changes and no engine problems. All oil changes have been made with Castrol Magnatec C3 5W-40.

My previous car, Renault Megane 1.6 had scheduled oil changes every 18 600 miles (30 000 km) and when I sold it with 100 000 miles (160 000 km) on the clock he had none previous engine problems. Oil used then was Elf 5W-40.

Our motorcycle has oils changes scheduled, as I earlier wrote, every 8 000 miles, or 1 year. That is a lot less than any car (more than double), which is ok because of the higher revs, but 3 000 miles is just not necessary.

·
17,681 Posts
My Honda Civic 1.8 is maintained according to the manufactures instructions, and by those, oil changes are every 15 500 miles (25 000 km). The car now has 77 600 miles (125 000 km) and had no problems at all - no oil loss between changes and no engine problems. All oil changes have been made with Castrol Magnatec C3 5W-40.

My previous car, Renault Megane 1.6 had scheduled oil changes every 18 600 miles (30 000 km) and when I sold it with 100 000 miles (160 000 km) on the clock he had none previous engine problems. Oil used then was Elf 5W-40.

Our motorcycle has oils changes scheduled, as I earlier wrote, every 8 000 miles, or 1 year. That is a lot less than any car (more than double), which is ok because of the higher revs, but 3 000 miles is just not necessary.
The duramax diesel we have at work (07 Chevy silverado 3500) runs 15w40 full synthetic Mobil 1 and it only needs an oil change every 15k miles. But just wanted to say that this is possible, running it for 15k on a car. Also fram sells an oil filter that's good for. 10k miles now

·
Registered
685 Posts
the oil in a car, and motorcycle, are very different things.

they have a different job to do in each of these two kinds of vehicles.

if you run a synthetic in your bike thats great, if you change it every 10k miles or something thats not so great and youre really pushing your luck unless you never run it beyond halfway into the rpm range.

3k is not necessary. thats really babying your bike. most ppl are in the 4k-6k range and thats perfectly reasonable IF you use expensive high quality stuff.

but.. the truth about a short oil change interval is that the kind of person who can not afford to change the oil every 3k miles is the kind of person who should not have a bike. changing it every 3k is often complementary to other service related stuff, plus its cheap peace of mind.

if you cant afford the fence, you cant afford the horse. stop trying to find excuses to change oil every 9k miles or some ****. take good care of your bike, or else.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
the oil in a car, and motorcycle, are very different things.

they have a different job to do in each of these two kinds of vehicles.

if you run a synthetic in your bike thats great, if you change it every 10k miles or something thats not so great and youre really pushing your luck unless you never run it beyond halfway into the rpm range.

3k is not necessary. thats really babying your bike. most ppl are in the 4k-6k range and thats perfectly reasonable IF you use expensive high quality stuff.

but.. the truth about a short oil change interval is that the kind of person who can not afford to change the oil every 3k miles is the kind of person who should not have a bike. changing it every 3k is often complementary to other service related stuff, plus its cheap peace of mind.

if you cant afford the fence, you cant afford the horse. stop trying to find excuses to change oil every 9k miles or some ****. take good care of your bike, or else.
Why? You give no explanation except to say that a motorcycle is different. Are you a petroleum engineer? I would almost say the opposite about a moto vs a car. About every car now is ran way over 100k miles. How much do people rack up on a bike 20-30k maybe? Even if your extra oil changes do help and you push the life of the engine from 150k-200k, it is pointless anyway since the engine will never reach that point anyway.

The truth is everyone grows up hearing cars need oil changes every 3k miles. Then you think because a bike revs higher, that it must be must harsher on the oil and now you really need to change it more frequently.

Changing the oil way more often is not called taking good care of your bike, it's called wasting money. Might was well at least half all your other scheduled maintenance items too. Chain cleaned and lubed every 250 miles, brake fluid every 6000 miles, etc.

·
17,681 Posts
So I only have like 3500 on my oil change and I changed it this time last year. Should I just store it and change it in the spring or change it now and store it?

·
Registered
685 Posts
ALWAYS change it BEFORE you store it. when you put the new oil in, let that be the last thing you do, dont run it on the fresh oil then put it away. dont want that sitting in the engine all winter.

·
17,681 Posts
ALWAYS change it BEFORE you store it. when you put the new oil in, let that be the last thing you do, dont run it on the fresh oil then put it away. dont want that sitting in the engine all winter.
Well I mean I do start my bike once a week over the winter when it's super cold cuz I don't yank my battery, I just star it once a week, and it hasnt failed me yet. But I'll change it this week before I store it and it should be good then till next spring and when I hit 5k sometime riding

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Why? You give no explanation except to say that a motorcycle is different. Are you a petroleum engineer? I would almost say the opposite about a moto vs a car. About every car now is ran way over 100k miles. How much do people rack up on a bike 20-30k maybe? Even if your extra oil changes do help and you push the life of the engine from 150k-200k, it is pointless anyway since the engine will never reach that point anyway.

The truth is everyone grows up hearing cars need oil changes every 3k miles. Then you think because a bike revs higher, that it must be must harsher on the oil and now you really need to change it more frequently.

Changing the oil way more often is not called taking good care of your bike, it's called wasting money. Might was well at least half all your other scheduled maintenance items too. Chain cleaned and lubed every 250 miles, brake fluid every 6000 miles, etc.
oil changes have to due with what kind of oil you use.

i had an 06 subaru impreza 2.5i and i used conventional oil in it, had to change it every 3k according to the service manual.

my mom's car on the other hand needs an oil change every 15k according to the user manual, but her car uses synthetic..

my dad is an engineer for an oil additives company (they make the stuff that goes into engine, transmission, and gear oils amoung other things.. also make stuff for wd-40 etc) so if there are specific questions that someone has about oil and how it breaks down based on engine use, please post them in a very simple 1,2,3, etc format and i will ask him..

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
oil changes have to due with what kind of oil you use.

i had an 06 subaru impreza 2.5i and i used conventional oil in it, had to change it every 3k according to the service manual.

my mom's car on the other hand needs an oil change every 15k according to the user manual, but her car uses synthetic..

my dad is an engineer for an oil additives company (they make the stuff that goes into engine, transmission, and gear oils amoung other things.. also make stuff for wd-40 etc) so if there are specific questions that someone has about oil and how it breaks down based on engine use, please post them in a very simple 1,2,3, etc format and i will ask him..
It's funny my 08 impreza 2.5i has 7500 mile interval limits and does not specify using synthetic. Another thing I find odd is how much higher the intervals are in other markets. The person above posted the interval for a europe and they are way different. It's not like they get any special oil or anything.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It's funny my 08 impreza 2.5i has 7500 mile interval limits and does not specify using synthetic. Another thing I find odd is how much higher the intervals are in other markets. The person above posted the interval for a europe and they are way different. It's not like they get any special oil or anything.
the very simple version that my dad gave me is this

oil change intervals depend on the type of oil being used (including the weight, etc..) and what kind of abuse the engine goes through..

so his examples were this: using synthetic in a race bike doesn't you change it every 5k miles. If you really beat on the bike and go to red line often then you should change it sooner, if you only cruise then you can get to 5k miles no problem..same thing with cars, a Benz sedan is designed to run at lower rpms, and because most people dont floor the car all day its easy for them to change the oil every 15k. This however requires high quality synthetic oil (he made sure to point out that there is a huge difference in amsoil or mobil 1 comapred to the cheap synthetics). it also has a lot to do with oil density, and how the engine uses the oil. there is no clear cut answer that applies to every situation.

long story short, there is no sure way to determine when the oil needs to be changed. He said that there are so many variables (ie oil quality, weight, driving style, engine design, etc) that its impossible to give an exact mileage. All the service manuals give a number that is most likely very safe so that there is minimal liability for the company of the vehicle..

change it sooner than later, that was his advice to anyone that is worried about it

21 - 40 of 51 Posts