Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
Being my first sports bike and previous owner told me it’s always been run on castrol power 1 racing 10/40,can you tell me if it’s normal for these engines to consume a little oil,bike has 23k miles and no smoke or leaks
Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Cant really give you specifics on that brand oil but there are only so many ways you can lose oil...either leaking out somewhere, ending up in your coolant, or blowing past a piston ring and getting burnt up. No leaks and clean coolant means it's coming out the ass end.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Some oil consumption is normal for any piston engine. Some engines use less, some use more. I've found my 600RR to use a pretty small amount of oil (haven't measured precisely but I think less than a quart) throughout my 2500-3000 mile oil change interval.

How much oil does your bike use per 1k miles?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Lets put it this way, you shouldn't have to add any oil in between oil changes. If you do, something is up. What brand of oil used doesn't matter at all.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest I’m unsure the exact oil level when I bought the bike last month. I do get a little variation due to trying to hold bike straight to check,but the current level is just below the minimum in the sight glass,might be worth me changing oil and at least I know where the level is!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Lets put it this way, you shouldn't have to add any oil in between oil changes. If you do, something is up. What brand of oil used doesn't matter at all.
I don't agree with this at all. Think about if you ran the manufacturer recommended 8k miles between changes, there is no way you could do that without topping off here and there. While I could probably go 3k miles without topping off and not fall below the add line, I instead add a little oil here and there to keep it near the top mark. Nothing is up with my bike.

·
Registered
389 Posts
To be honest I’m unsure the exact oil level when I bought the bike last month. I do get a little variation due to trying to hold bike straight to check,but the current level is just below the minimum in the sight glass,might be worth me changing oil and at least I know where the level is!!
First thing I do anytime I buy a used motorcycle is change the oil. Get that done, and go from there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll get it changed asap,the previous owner had the bike 7 yearsand said the oil was changed yearly approx every 1,000 miles,if he’s had his level wrong,would this have caused my damage due to the oil continually being on minimum?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I’ll get it changed asap,the previous owner had the bike 7 yearsand said the oil was changed yearly approx every 1,000 miles,if he’s had his level wrong,would this have caused my damage due to the oil continually being on minimum?
I wouldn't stress about it. If the bike runs good, has no strange noises etc. you are good to go. You would have to be really low to actually run into issues.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thank you,really appreciate your help/info,is there a tip or trick to accurately check the oil level on your own?

·
Registered
389 Posts
You want to be consistent, as in check in the same spot and hold it as level as possible every time. I like to hold it with one hand on the triple tree, put my foot behind the front tire, and look at the sight glass as dead on as possible, while doing my best to balance the bike straight up.

Mostly though I check it on my pitbull rear stand (spooled). On the stand, the bike is in the exact same position, perfectly level, every time.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I don't agree with this at all. Think about if you ran the manufacturer recommended 8k miles between changes, there is no way you could do that without topping off here and there. While I could probably go 3k miles without topping off and not fall below the add line, I instead add a little oil here and there to keep it near the top mark. Nothing is up with my bike.
If your going 8k between oil changes then yes some adding will most likely be needed. You should NOT be going 8k between changes though. Manufacturer recommendations are based on multiple factors with maximum engine life only being one factor in the equation. It's been causing a lot of problems in BMW's and Mercedes-Benz for a while now for instance. Balance shafts and top ends all gummed up to crap, entire engine break downs to clean them out, all no good.

·
Registered
348 Posts
41,000 miles on my engine, it maintains the level throughout the change interval of 3,000 miles.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right guys,after a nice ride out today I’ve noticed my clutch slips slightly very high up the rev range,I’m buying some oil tomorrow for my oil change,but is it a fully or semi oil and have you guys any recommendations please
Thanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
Full, semi, or conventional are all fine (at least for my 03, I don't know what year your bike is or if the oem spec has changed).

My oil of choice is Shell Rotella T4 (previously known as T3 triple protection) , which is a robust 15-40 weight conventional oil. It can be had for under $15 a gallon at Wal-Mart all day long.

10/10 would recommend

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a dilemma now...I’ve been reading if a clutch slips on high revs then the plates need replacing as it will only get worse!!
Do I have to do clutch before renewing my oil on my Cbr600rr 03

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a dilemma now...I’ve been reading if a clutch slips on high revs then the plates need replacing as it will only get worse!!
Do I have to do clutch before renewing my oil on my Cbr600rr 03
Well yeah once a clutch starts slipping it will only get worse. It's possible new oil at the correct level will help tho. And if it doesn't, you can always drain the oil into a clean container and reuse it.

At 23k miles though the clutch should be good. I would try new oil and go from there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s had castrol power 1 racing oil 10/40 for last few years and does currently look a little dirty,so I’m possibly going to try a different oil

·
Registered
348 Posts
Correct! Go ahead and change it. There is no magic oil, so be realistic and get it done. If you can't decide which oil go to the moto shop (if you have any nearby, we have none around here) and get some. As long as it meets specs and isn't a bottom shelf brand you're good.

Like you said, you will then know you have it taken care of, and can move forward. Then you will have some hard data about possible oil consumption, and put the speculation to rest.

Coolant and brake fluid should be taken care of immediately.
Chain should always get some TLC also. Fork oil I would definitely be checking that ASAP.

Best wishes and safe travels.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts