Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've got a used 2006 CBR600RR that I bought with 20k miles on it January 2022. Its got about 23,500 on it now and I've changed the oil once when I bought it and again just recently. On both changes I swear the oil level gets higher on it own, and the oil it seems like its green in color and thin when drained which seem odd. Not really sure if it smells like gas or not, hard to tell on that one. I tried lighting some on fire and it didn't burn :D . I thought it would be black and thick like car oil is when it's old.

Is this normal (not the lighting the oil on fire part) ? What steps and troubleshooting should I take? Its a daily rider so I don't want to break something that I can possibly prevent so I can check and replace some parts if needed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
First question, what color is the oil you're putting in? Coolant is often green but would turn the oil milky brown if there's contamination. Also to check if the oil level is changing you need to view it in consistent conditions, i.e. on a stand and facing the same direction in the same location every time because a slight tilt can drastically change the level in the sight glass. You can always send an oil sample off for analysis instead of speculation from strangers on the internet since we're limited on what to verify for you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Is your coolant level dropping by same amount oil is rising?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what color is the oil you're putting in
Golden Mobil1 racing oil
Is your coolant level dropping by same amount oil is rising?
No, the coolant level is not falling at all

The bike overheating. temp rarely goes above 200 degrees. Therefore, I have pretty much ruled out coolant leak/blown head gasket. I am now paranoid that there is fuel entering and mixing in with the oil, however, there is no misfiring, backfiring, etc. - the bike is running amazing. If fuel were mixing with oil wouldn't the engine be toasted by now, unless there is a very tiny leak somewhere. IDK

view it in consistent conditions
Good point. I will make sure I do this and then report back levels.
send an oil sample off for analysis
Where can I send this sample?

·
Registered
370 Posts
try some of these:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
you can try a cheap 'fizz test' on the oil at home with a metal spoon and a burner.. can sometimes reveal if a little coolant or water (i think 100 ppm or more) is in the oil or not

there is also a neat test you can do with a cheap test kit mounted into the radiator cap to check if there is exhaust gas finding its way into the coolant ... check scotty kilmer on youtube that wacko has a bunch of good videos about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts