Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my oil lever rises when the bike is completely warmed up.. anybody know why this is.. most people say its supposed to drop when hot but when its cold it shows that it has less

·
Registered
849 Posts
my oil lever rises when the bike is completely warmed up.. anybody know why this is.. most people say its supposed to drop when hot but when its cold it shows that it has less
The oil level is the same, regardless of what you see in the site glass.

Why would there appear to be less oil when it's hot?

Because the little Honda elves hoard it away in different parts of the engine so you can't see it.

Why would there appear to be more oil than there actually is when it's hot?

Because Honda elves like to play tricks on you. They swish it around and stomp in it. Sometimes they even tilt the bike. All these things depend on their mood and whether or not, as well as how anal you are being when you're looking.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Hot oil expands in volume as the bike is running, flowing through orifices while surrounded by the internal combustion explosions. I've seen the level of the oil much higher after shutting certain bikes off until they cool down. Nothing to be concerned about, just natural physics at work. Always just check the oil level cold on a cbr 600rr and add or subtract as needed. Generally the oil level will appear lower as it's being cycled while running, but hot oil can give different readings through the site glass and dip sticks, but neither should be checked hot in this instance. Hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
145 Posts
While I believe Shoichiro Honda's explanation is spot-on, there's also the possibility oil is hitting the sight glass and making it appear higher than it is.

Holy ...

When the bike is at rest, on an even surface, if it's in the proper place on the site glass -- quit worrying.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
can we just ban him?
If we banned everyone who came in here asking the same silly questions over and over we'd have no one here anymore, unfortunately. 95% of the discussion here is on a bike that ranges from 3-13 years old and the newer ones are 95% the same mechanically as the previous generation so even then other than how a few specific things fit it's all been covered.

And even then, those few specific differences between the years are well documented but they STILL get asked every few weeks without fail.

OP, it's normal. There are a ton of factors as to why the oil level looks different heights at different times, way too many to get into. Read your owners manual for the checking procedure, follow it EXACTLY and you'll have no problem. it's a new bike, I know you're worried; a few of these people taking shots at you in your threads should go back and read some of their first posts because they sounded just as stupid.

Having said that 6 threads about an oil change is really 5 too many and you can ask multiple questions in one thread in one area for future reference.

Mike

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
If we banned everyone who came in here asking the same silly questions over and over we'd have no one here anymore, unfortunately. 95% of the discussion here is on a bike that ranges from 3-13 years old and the newer ones are 95% the same mechanically as the previous generation so even then other than how a few specific things fit it's all been covered.

And even then, those few specific differences between the years are well documented but they STILL get asked every few weeks without fail.

OP, it's normal. There are a ton of factors as to why the oil level looks different heights at different times, way too many to get into. Read your owners manual for the checking procedure, follow it EXACTLY and you'll have no problem. it's a new bike, I know you're worried; a few of these people taking shots at you in your threads should go back and read some of their first posts because they sounded just as stupid.

Having said that 6 threads about an oil change is really 5 too many and you can ask multiple questions in one thread in one area for future reference.

Mike

I didnt say to ban everyone over silly questions but 6 threads over one oil change.......seriously???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts