Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I check my oil often, and it's always right below the top oil measure line..of course, it's a honda. This weekend (I've added no oil), I checked the oil level and it's, well, so high the level indicator measure is all black. Could someone have added oil (or something else) to my bike while I was away??? Am i crazy? BTW-the bike was warmed 3-5 minutes, as per the manual.

Thoughts??? How much damage could have happened?

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
mine always goes down, sine i started running this map that is all rich, i switched to a bette rmap last night so i'll see what happens.
Im not worried about it tho, if its black its time to change it anyway.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but my oil level has gone UP, not DOWN. There is now more oil in my bike than last week. I added nothing. Thoughts??

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've experienced the same thing and I wouldn't worry about it. Let it sit a little bit longer and check it again. I always put 3 quarts in when I change my oil and it fills it up almost perfectly so I know I never overfill it. I also know that nobody else is adding oil.

K

·
0 Posts
I check my oil often, and it's always right below the top oil measure line..of course, it's a honda. This weekend (I've added no oil), I checked the oil level and it's, well, so high the level indicator measure is all black. Could someone have added oil (or something else) to my bike while I was away??? Am i crazy? BTW-the bike was warmed 3-5 minutes, as per the manual.

Thoughts??? How much damage could have happened?
Relax... It's just some Thermal expansion. as the oil warms up, swelling agents become active and do what they sound like. you're fine.

BTW Snikwad, the reason your oil is going down could be because it's evaporating. it probably has nothing to do with your fuel map... actually i'm pretty convinced it has nothing to do with it.

·
19,904 Posts
Relax... It's just some Thermal expansion. as the oil warms up, swelling agents become active and do what they sound like. you're fine.

BTW Snikwad, the reason your oil is going down could be because it's evaporating. it probably has nothing to do with your fuel map... actually i'm pretty convinced it has nothing to do with it.
i dunno, i guess so, but never heard of that much evaporating. i fill to right below the top line on my oild change, and by 1000+ miles i couldnt see oil anymore, and it wasnt always like that.

K

·
0 Posts
i dunno, i guess so, but never heard of that much evaporating. i fill to right below the top line on my oild change, and by 1000+ miles i couldnt see oil anymore, and it wasnt always like that.
well what are we talking? liter? deciliters?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I noticed the same thing. If you warm up the bike beyond the 3-5 min (by riding it for example), the oil will appear higher in the level indicator window even after shutting down and waiting a few minutes. I thought there was a problem too, but I realized it is just thermal expansion. I then checked it the next day and warmed it up for 3-5 min without riding it. I shut it down for 3 minutes and then checked, the oil was right at the full line again as when I originally changed the oil. I had measured out 3.1 qts. exactly, so I knew I didn't overfill....but couldn't understand at first what was going on.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Snik- It sounds like you are burning oil.

·
19,904 Posts
Snik- It sounds like you are burning oil.

Yeah, my boy said his 05 did that all the way up to when he wrecked it.

i dunno, feels fine to me. ill ride it till it breaks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts