Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Idk if this is the correct area to post, but I'm doing my 16k mile maintenance and pulled my plugs. The tips are white and there is oil on the plug with a little brown ring in another spot (I have included pictures). I read online that the white tip can indicate oil combustion (along with it running lean) which would make sense seeing as there is oil as shown in the pictures. Any suggestions on what I should do? As far as I could tell the bike was running normal (I only rode it about 15-20 miles in the past 10 months b.c. I was living somewhere else).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would guess valve stem seals but IDK. Could try a compression test and see what that shows. Low compression could mean bad piston rings which would allow oil to get on the plugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have also dropped it twice so Idk if oil could get in that way, should I just replace the plugs and see if it is from dropping it? Again it seems to run fine. Or do those just look like normal plugs?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
If you dropped it twice, oil can absolutely get up there, burn and glaze the plug like that. I've seen most plugs on this forum look very similar actually. I'd recommend just changing them out, maybe do a routine check, because symptoms that occurred then, could be non existent now and you could be looking at something that isn't as it seems basically. Make sure to use some anti seize copper or aluminum paste on the threads of the new plugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you dropped it twice, oil can absolutely get up there, burn and glaze the plug like that. I've seen most plugs on this forum look very similar actually. I'd recommend just changing them out, maybe do a routine check, because symptoms that occurred then, could be non existent now and you could be looking at something that isn't as it seems basically. Make sure to use some anti seize copper or aluminum paste on the threads of the new plugs.

Is there any reason to not just clean them with some break cleaner and throw them back on? I'm not cheap, I just don't want to throw money in the toilet, so if there's a rational not to do that I wont.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided to replace them seeing as I don't know but a more defiant I've answer would be great. Can you get the tools for a leak down test from autozone?

·
Registered
48 Posts
im sure you can. i would perform a compression test first though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts