Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it started with my oil pan plug falling out and me not noticing till a mile afterwards when my bike bogged out n came to a clunky sliding halt. I luckily got it trailered home from there. Then I figured I would just get lucky by simply getting a new plug and filling it back up with oil. I tried to ride it, not even 50 ft down the street as the rpms build up it has a nasty knocking/ticking sound. I’m like great, engine work. So I dropped oil pan to find a **** ton of shavings of metal. That’s not good, now gotta dig deep. As me and a buddy tearing the engine completely apart we notice wear on a few things throughout the motor n figured it was just shavings they caused it. Come to find out due to lack of lubrication my crankshaft had, a lot of metal to metal wear ended up eating a lot of metal away from the rods and crankshaft.

Moral of the story, don’t forget to tighten your oil plug 🤦🏻‍♂️

oh yeah... anybody know where I can pick up a new 05 cbr600rr crankshaft with rods n all?
much appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Surprised your oil light didn't come on as soon as your pressure dropped below spec. Or maybe you just didn't see it.

You didn't say what year you have but I'd just get a used motor. Older ones can be had around here for around $1k.

If the crank shows that much wear what about the pistons and rings? Valves? Looks like a lot of money and work to rebuild and it may run like crap.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So it started with my oil pan plug falling out and me not noticing till a mile afterwards when my bike bogged out n came to a clunky sliding halt. I luckily got it trailered home from there. Then I figured I would just get lucky by simply getting a new plug and filling it back up with oil. I tried to ride it, not even 50 ft down the street as the rpms build up it has a nasty knocking/ticking sound. I’m like great, engine work. So I dropped oil pan to find a **** ton of shavings of metal. That’s not good, now gotta dig deep. As me and a buddy tearing the engine completely apart we notice wear on a few things throughout the motor n figured it was just shavings they caused it. Come to find out due to lack of lubrication my crankshaft had, a lot of metal to metal wear ended up eating a lot of metal away from the rods and crankshaft.

Moral of the story, don’t forget to tighten your oil plug 🤦🏻‍♂️

oh yeah... anybody know where I can pick up a new 05 cbr600rr crankshaft with rods n all?
much appreciated
EBAY a used motor

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well I pulled a similar blunder yesterday.. After an oil change and a rad flush I took my bike out for a spin, and about a mile down the road my right leg is starting to feel warm. I look down, and my oil filler cap is nowhere to be seen, and oil is spraying all over my pants & moto boot. I guess I didn't screw in the cap all the way when I was done filling her up with oil. ERMAGERSH. Oil all over my rear tire. Boot is saturated. Stupid mistake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts