Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am 80% completed with building the track bike. I was checking all the wiring last night. The oil pressure switch is there, but the wire that attaches to the switch is MIA. I checked the manual and it seems that where that wire should be, is only half a wire, clipped at the end. No terminal end to attach to the switch.

So, options here? New wire harness, splice in a terminal end? I'd rather not run the bike without it as I'd like to know if there's any issues with oil pressure and avoid seizing the engine on track.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd check and make sure its the right wire first and that its routed properly(does the oil light go out or come on when you ground that wire and is there another way to run the wire that would get it there). Providing it is and you can't re-route it. solder and heat shrink an extension on it and terminate accordingly...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm almost 100% positive it is the correct wire, but I will ground it tonight and see if the oil light functions. There's no way to route it now as it sits for it to reach the switch. I'll have to splice on an extension.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Make sure you fix it correctly... if the ECU thinks there is no oil pressure, it will shut off the motor. ( Which on a straight is like hitting the brakes )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that would not be good.
I went home for lunch, grounded that wire, and the oil light comes on. So it's the correct wire. Seems it's about 2inches short of reaching the switch. Should be an easy fix. Thanks for the assistance

·
Registered
41 Posts
Make sure you fix it correctly... if the ECU thinks there is no oil pressure, it will shut off the motor. ( Which on a straight is like hitting the brakes )
Thats what I've heard and been told many times... but with the wire disconnected or grounded, the bike never shuts off...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
^^ I didn't look at the wiring diagram to see what effect it would have if the wire just fell off. It's good to know that if it did just fall off, it wouldn't plain stop on you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
^^ I didn't look at the wiring diagram to see what effect it would have if the wire just fell off. It's good to know that if it did just fall off, it wouldn't plain stop on you.
Given, this is just idling in the driveway checking oil pressure with a guage. Who knows about in gear or above 6k rpm...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts