Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Oil spewing out!!!!

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  mkhsupratt 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I was out riding lastnight cruising about 120km/h and look in my mirror to see a cloud of smoke coming from my bike!! I thought it was on fire so I pulled over and there was oil everywhere!!! It looks like is came from the front near the oil filter. It came through the bottom fairing and all over headers and back to my rear tire. Good thing I didn't wipe!! I haven't had a chance to really look it over yet because I am at work but I stuck my hand in the fairing to see if the oil filter was loose and it was atleast as tight as I can get it with my hand. I changed the oil over 2000km ago and have had no issues. I will have to look at it later today but any ideas or anything I should look at in oparticular?? Any ideas??

#5 ·
I put the oil filter on correctly. I've done it several times myself. I've put around 2000km since I last changed the filter and not a drip has come out. I'll have to check the oil supply hose on the cooler that repsol600 is talking about. I hope that all it is.

#7 ·
It will stop leaking b/c there is no pressure in the system when it is off. I am 95% sure its the gasket on the oil filter. Take off the fairings, see where its coming from. You NEED to put more oil in it before you ride it again. Use the sight window the right side of the bike to see how much oil left.

I suggest you do another oil change and make certain the gasket its on there.

If you have two of those black gaskets on your filter you are wrong.

#8 ·
It will stop leaking b/c there is no pressure in the system when it is off. I am 95% sure its the gasket on the oil filter. Take off the fairings, see where its coming from. You NEED to put more oil in it before you ride it again. Use the sight window the right side of the bike to see how much oil left.

I suggest you do another oil change and make certain the gasket its on there.

If you have two of those black gaskets on your filter you are wrong.

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll take a look tonight after work and let you know the outcome.

#9 ·
Rocket, I just read your thread about your g/f's accident. You're having some craptastic luck these days!

No one mentioned your drain bolt. Check that as well. If it's stripped, replace it. And for kicks and giggles, replace your crush washer as well.

#10 ·
Rocket, I just read your thread about your g/f's accident. You're having some craptastic luck these days!

No one mentioned your drain bolt. Check that as well. If it's stripped, replace it. And for kicks and giggles, replace your crush washer as well.
Ya, some real bad luck this year so far. I didn't want to make the post any longer than it had to be but lastnight two of my buddies were behind me, I look in my mirror and the one guy swings around to make a U-turn and the guy behind him goes to pass, ends up hitting the guy doing the U-turn and they both wiped out. No damage to them but they're bikes are a little scraped up!! Last year, 10,000km of riding and not a single issue. This year....not going well at all!!!

#13 ·
Ok, so lastnight I filled the bike back up with oil. There wasn't much gone so I just put a bit in. Turned the bike on and the oil was definitely coming from the oil filter seal. I took it off and there was a small tear in the seal that was leaking pretty good when under pressure. I replaced the oil filter and its good to go. Thanks for the help guys!! Hopefully all my problems will be resolved that easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.