Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok WTF is this ****Updated****

so when I got the RR it noticed it had a bit of a rattle to it( had about 4000 miles at this point), thought nothing of it until recently when it started getting worse. So i listened, figured it was the chain tensioner and went out and bought a manual one from ape. Didn't fix it!! BAH! so here is a video of the rattle if anyone can help me (keep in mind, this is before I changed the cct, but it didn't get any better after).

I'm just wondering wtf this could be, it's engine variable (changes with RPM) gets real loud around 4-5k and then other harmonics take over but its still there...

vid

·
Registered
906 Posts
It may very well be the plastic over your fuel tank! While cruising at 5k rpm,the thing should be making a huge racket - put your finger firmly on the dent in the tank just in front of the fuel cap. Does this get rid of it?

There are a couple of posts about this rattle. One oke writes how he got rid of it - put some sponge or something between the tank and whatever else is below it...

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
i bet dynamat could get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahaha christ guys, you think I'm that stupid??? I insulated all that stuff from ratteling like the 2nd week I had the bike.. noo, this is mechanical... it goes all the way through the revs. not just resonates at 5 grand... the video you heard was barely hitting 3500 rpm.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10w-40 amsoil. I can hear the valves tick but if thats a valve noise then I've got a dead lifter. noise seems to be coming more from the bottom end than the top.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Not saying it can't be valves but mine went 33k before the valve adj. and only 2 were out by 2 thousands of an inch (still in spec)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Im pretty sure Im getting that same rattle and it really bothers me...I can only really hear it when the bike is idling at a stop light because of the exhaust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check your clutch.
The spring retaining bolts can back theselves off over time and when they do they can sound like something is about to give up.
I have only ever seen this on a couple of high revving race bikes but it's worth a look if nothing else.
If it is the bolts make sure you torque them up to the required settings:12nm or 1.2Kgf or 9lbf.ft

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've got that same noise at it started around 2200 miles. Let me, us, know what you find out because I'm a bit worried about my baby.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Sodamninsane said:
noise seems to be coming more from the bottom end than the top.
I'm almost deaf so i couldn't hear anything on the vid but

My bike started to rattle between 3 and 5 grand really loud in 1st,2nd and 3rd gear.All the wrenches at he shop seem to agree it's the tranny.

·
**Can't SEE My RC UJB smoked **
469 Posts
just want to throw the idea of an exhaust shield being lose. i had it happen to me and i def sounded like it was internal.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the tips guys. I'm gonna run it by a dealer to see what they say, not that i'm going to let them work on it, but I just want to see what they say. I haven't had any probs with the tranny. I wouldn't be suprised if it was clutch springs, clutch was my next idea... but anyway, let you know what i find out. if it's the tranny I'm gonna be kind worried since well, it's been running like this for a while.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
vizsladog44 said:
man you guys dont know???

Cam chain tensioner.....
he already been there done that

figured it was the chain tensioner and went out and bought a manual one from ape. Didn't fix it!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts