Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding around LA on melrose ave. I make a right turn through a tiny bit of water. I didn't think much of it at the time. So, I accelerate a bit and then all of a sudden my rear start to slip out to the left. I didn't really panic at all. I just let go of the gas and pulled in the clutch and the bike magically righted itself. I was only going 5-10 mph since I generally ride really slow. I wonder if that could've caused a highside if I was going faster. Well, it all felt very smooth to me.

Note to self: Stay away from tiny bits of water. :eek:

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
it may have resulted in a highside, especially if you would have handled it differently. there a racer in the CMRA that highsided his bike while unloading it. he was doing about 5mph while making a tight u-turn in the pit area. the backend stepped out on him, but instead of letting up on the throtle, he opened her up a little bit more to right the bike. shortly after, the bike highsided and landed on him.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
mule-madness, I thought the exact same thing on the High Side.

Chopping the throttle is one of the worst things you can do when the rear gets loose. Chopping the may allow the rear to hook up while it is at an angle and toss you right off the bike.

I know of two people who have had 10MPH or less high sides and this is almost picture perfect how it happened.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The tire tends to spin more/less depending on the amount of air in the tire...lately mine has been slipping alot. It's getting a little flat from hwy riding. I always just stay on the throttle and get as far up on the tank as I can and ride the "burnout" til the tire hooks up. It's just like riding motocross or on dirt...tire is always spinning. It's actually pretty fun...but watch that water...I wouldn't recommend totally letting of the throttle...it might be too jerky and you allow the bike to control the spin, not you.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hondaf4iguy said:
mule-madness, I thought the exact same thing on the High Side.

Chopping the throttle is one of the worst things you can do when the rear gets loose. Chopping the may allow the rear to hook up while it is at an angle and toss you right off the bike.

I know of two people who have had 10MPH or less high sides and this is almost picture perfect how it happened.
what if you chop off the throttle AND grab clutch at the same time

since there's no power at the rear how can it grab?

that's what I did and it worked out fine

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
aren, if the tire slows down while at an angle, it can hook up. The power to the wheel need to be modulated not cut off.

Rubber grabs with out power. Your tires are working their hardest under braking not accelerating. When your tire is spinning it has broken traction and it starts to get sideways. If it stops spinning, you tire will grab (on gas or not) and if you are not pointed in the same direction the bike want to slide, you may well end up on your head.

You have only been riding for a few weeks now (right?). I am betting the reason your bike came back so quick is because it didn't step out but a couple of inches. If you have never experienced that before, it definately will feel like more.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thats a classic survival reaction. Read twist of the wrist two. The things your brain naturally wants to do are the very things that will put you on the pavement or off the road entirely. When in doubt gas it.

N

·
0 Posts
What hell are you thinking by riding your bike in LA--especially around Melrose.

Dude, they've got the worse roads in America!!!

And yeah, you shouldn't let off the throttle or pull in the clutch. You got lucky.

I will never take my bike on LA streets. Freakin' city sucks @$$!!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hondaf4iguy said:
aren, if the tire slows down while at an angle, it can hook up. The power to the wheel need to be modulated not cut off.

Rubber grabs with out power. Your tires are working their hardest under braking not accelerating. When your tire is spinning it has broken traction and it starts to get sideways. If it stops spinning, you tire will grab (on gas or not) and if you are not pointed in the same direction the bike want to slide, you may well end up on your head.

You have only been riding for a few weeks now (right?). I am betting the reason your bike came back so quick is because it didn't step out but a couple of inches. If you have never experienced that before, it definately will feel like more.
Okay, I'm just making sure what the best course of action is. My bike wasn't sideways, the rear just started to spin to the left. So should I just stay on the gas next time?

I've been riding for 2 years now. I've just had my d6 for 2 weeks. Thanks for the advice!

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Live and learn my friend. Everytime I get on my bike I am finding out new things, I like the ones that don't resault in wrecks. ;-)

Jason

1 - 17 of 17 Posts