Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think? I've been doing some track days and such and have an idea that I thought would help build a little confidence in me. I'd feel better knowing that my tires are up to temp before going 100%. I run tire warmers and usually wait a lap or two before going hard but I have also lost the front once and the only reason I can figure was cold tires. It was second session and I wasn't even going all out yet. ( I'm not a loser rider that used too much brake or something then acting like I didn't know what happened)

I'm thinking of modifying a tire gauge to check the tire temp and display it on the bars while I'm on the track. I actually am almost done with it. I still have to mount it to the bike but I really was wondering if this was a stupid idea or not. I would feel better but would everyone else think I'm an idiot? Anyway, what do you think?

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
there really is no need for something like that. i think that you are blaming tires for other problems.

it depends on types of tires,
street, race, dot race etc
tire pressure
lean angle
suspension set up
body position
corner entry speed (according to kevin swanz 85% of all low sides are caused by too much corner entry speed)

if you indeed use tire warmers and waited 2 whole laps before you started riding hard and then lost the front then id wager my bike that cold tires were not your problem.

·
Registered
401 Posts
One way to do it would be to mount a laser temp gauge (they look like a goofy little pistol) somewhere where it can "see" the surface of the tire. They're damned accurate and don't actually have to touch the surface to tell how hot it is. I don't know how you'd rig that up but it'd be interesting.

G

·
One way to do it would be to mount a laser temp gauge (they look like a goofy little pistol) somewhere where it can "see" the surface of the tire. They're damned accurate and don't actually have to touch the surface to tell how hot it is. I don't know how you'd rig that up but it'd be interesting.
There are already IR temp gauges that can be mounted to fenders. One of the very good reasons to buy a Motec dash.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already have that rigged up. The IR temp sensor thing will be mounted on the lower fairing so it can see the tire from about 3 in away and the fairing will block anything that flys off the tire so it won't get hit by anything. Then I made a case to mount the display and circuit board on the tripple.

I plan on using it to learn more. I know tire pressure affects tire temp. as well as many other things. The safety part of it is if something doesn't look right, don't go hard.

G

·
You can also get the pressures adjusted to be 100% perfect for the conditions and track. Should help increase tire life too.

Which IR sensors did you get by the way?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there really is no need for something like that. i think that you are blaming tires for other problems.

it depends on types of tires,
street, race, dot race etc
tire pressure
lean angle
suspension set up
body position
corner entry speed (according to kevin swanz 85% of all low sides are caused by too much corner entry speed)

if you indeed use tire warmers and waited 2 whole laps before you started riding hard and then lost the front then id wager my bike that cold tires were not your problem.

The actual problem was tire pressure. I adjust my tire pressures while they're hot and I forgot to bleed of some air before the second session. I'm hoping my gauge will tell me somethings wrong before I go and crash.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can also get the pressures adjusted to be 100% perfect for the conditions and track. Should help increase tire life too.

Which IR sensors did you get by the way?
I got a Duratrax brand. (made for R/C car engines) I wanted to mount the sensor and circuit board in the fairing but I couldn't seperate the LCD display from the circuit board easily. I would have to etch my own board just for the display to touch and work. ( sounds stupid but the display isn't wired to the circuit board, it is just held in place by the case and the signals go through some sort of black thing )

This is just a 1st. run thing. If it actually works and reads correctly, then I'll look into making it better.

G

·
You're talking about the flashpoint IR thermometer? I'm not sure that'd work at all. You need to hold those things fairly close for them to get an accurate reading. I've got one for my R/C truck, and they're pretty much like toys. It'd work better to just take a reading when you pull off the track.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is just an experiment. Cheap.

They have a 1 to 1 field of view. 1 in away = 1in diameter circle and so on.

I have a good tepm gun and used it to see if it would read acurately with the tire spinning. It works at 15 mph. ( I held it by hand in my neighborhood) I don't know if it will work at 100 mph though.

I got this thing for like $30. If it sucks, I'm not out much. If it does work, I'll look to improve it.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
i dont mean to diss your choice of IR thermometers, but those Duratrax IR temp gauges are crap.
i worked in a hobby shop for a while, and they give inconsistent readings, and need to be about 1/2" away max or else it reads the air temp in between.
Raytech makes a better design.

i run DC3 tires and no warmers and after 1 lap, i know my tires are warm.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just curious if there is even a need for this. I ask cause I built several variations a while back that would read the surface temps on the rear tire ( left, center, right or center) and had it displayed on a backlit LCD screen mounted to the triple. Worked good and simple enough to apply to the front as well. But after all that I didn't really see the need for it since the tires would be warm after riding a while. Was fooling around with tire pressure monitoring system but that became too costly.

G

·
Just curious if there is even a need for this. I ask cause I built several variations a while back that would read the surface temps on the rear tire ( left, center, right or center) and had it displayed on a backlit LCD screen mounted to the triple. Worked good and simple enough to apply to the front as well. But after all that I didn't really see the need for it since the tires would be warm after riding a while. Was fooling around with tire pressure monitoring system but that became too costly.
It can be used for dialing in tire pressure. You'll be able to know if your tires are too cold or too hot even though they seem hot to the touch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.