Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the post on trailer tie downs a couple days ago I have been seriously thinking of getting a small trailer for my car.

Basicly I wanted to know who uses one and how its worked out for them. I only mean those that use a trailer with a small 4 banger car. To elaborate, my daily driver and the car I use for longer trips is a lowly little 02 Neon. It getting ready to hit 100k and is an auto. I drive 45 min to work everyday so its been good to me. Much better then the 05 F150 my other jobs provides me and I dont have to worry about being seen using it for unofficial business. Seems like having the bike in the back, would really clue people in somehow.

Anyway, how do smaller cars run with say a 250-400 pound trailer and bike? How will this affect the wear and tear on it? Mainly the transmission, etc...

Any help appreciated.. thx guys

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I'd suggest something like this.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42709
Throw a good floor on it with some tie downs and you'll be good to go. Most important thing about your transmission is take it easy. Don't force the car to run 70+ on the HWY if it doesn't want to. As long as you keep the transmission from shifting too often and down floor it that 4 banger will haul every bit as long as someone using a V8. It's all in the operator, not the vehicle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i used to have a mazda 626 that i hauled a trailer with and put well over 1000 pounds on for 300 mile trips and never had a problem with it from towing.

·
Registered
787 Posts
nflor001 said:
My bike has more hp and torque than my car(2001 kia rio). I should haul my car to the track using my bike.

:sign10:

my car has like 140hp and 127tq, not sure how much the RR has

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm towing an 1100 lb Haulmark enclosed trailer with my 4-cyl Subaru Forester XT. Add a bike,tools, and gear, and that number goes up to about 1800 lbs. But then, the car does happen to put out about 210 hp. ;-)

Your Neon should have no problems towing a lightweight open trailer + bike. The load will be about 1000 lbs or less. I've seen older Civics do the same, at trackdays. And I doubt you would be doing it often enough to have any meaningful negative effect on the car. Just remember, be smooth when driving, and brake early.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bro are you serious about seeing honda civic hauling 600rr damn I wanna do the same because im going somewhere to kick some azz but it 2 hrs away from my house and i dont wanna my rr ride it that far you think be cool hauling with my civic back and fro 4 hours ?

quasi888 said:
I'm towing an 1100 lb Haulmark enclosed trailer with my 4-cyl Subaru Forester XT. Add a bike,tools, and gear, and that number goes up to about 1800 lbs. But then, the car does happen to put out about 210 hp. ;-)

Your Neon should have no problems towing a lightweight open trailer + bike. The load will be about 1000 lbs or less. I've seen older Civics do the same, at trackdays. And I doubt you would be doing it often enough to have any meaningful negative effect on the car. Just remember, be smooth when driving, and brake early.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I tow my bike around all the time with a little open trailer and it's fine. I've even towed 2 bikes with a huge 3 bike trailer and didn't have any problems, just have to try and minimize accelerations and decelarations as much as possible as this is what strains the motor and brakes etc. I drive a 2001 Golf 4 GTi (it's a 1.8 turbo 4 cylinder), can easily maintain 140 km/h (about 90 mph).

·
Registered
356 Posts
the four banger will tow it, but ur beating up ur tranny... even if you do take it easy, your putting your tranny under alot of stress that it wasnt made to take.

·
Registered
787 Posts
instead of carrying 3 200lbs passenger in my 2door integra, i could probably tow a 350lbs bike + trailer = less than 700-800lbs ? thats only a 100-200lbs over...i dont think its that bad ?

anyone know where to buy open top trailer that would fit this need ? how much does it cost ?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
PaulJON600rr said:
Bro are you serious about seeing honda civic hauling 600rr...
you can do it. I bought a hitch from hitchmart.com and I installed it in 15 minutes (no drilling). You can download install instructions for your car from that site to see if yours would need drilling.

This is with the harborfreight.com $250 trailer (weighs about 250lbs). Last week I couldnt borrow that trailer and rented a uhaul motorcycle trailer, like the one in the s2k photo. Those are about 500lbs and you can really feel the difference when braking. If given the choice I would borrow a pick up and do that instead, which I've done a bunch of times too. These days my only option is to rent a uhaul trailer.

Totally doable. Also, in CA the speed limit for cars with trailers is 55pmh. check your state.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bro that looks crazie I would do it if I had a integra, but I have a LX Civic 96 with 190000 miles I would not wanna hurt it anymore. And thanks for the idea I might just wanna rent a truck instead but Im looking up the hitchmart.com just to see what they got.

pantablo said:
you can do it. I bought a hitch from hitchmart.com and I installed it in 15 minutes (no drilling). You can download install instructions for your car from that site to see if yours would need drilling.

This is with the harborfreight.com $250 trailer (weighs about 250lbs). Last week I couldnt borrow that trailer and rented a uhaul motorcycle trailer, like the one in the s2k photo. Those are about 500lbs and you can really feel the difference when braking. If given the choice I would borrow a pick up and do that instead, which I've done a bunch of times too. These days my only option is to rent a uhaul trailer.

Totally doable. Also, in CA the speed limit for cars with trailers is 55pmh. check your state.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
watch when you rent a truck though. At Uhaul I noticed the rental of the truck was the same as the trailer (or nearly the same) but the truck also charges you mileage. I dont know if its changed but years ago it was $0.25/mile. Thats 100+/- miles round trip to the track. So the extra $25 in mileage pays for the trailer 2x.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah I think they still charge for mileage but mang my little pour civic can haul it but I dont wanna take a chance but thanks for the advice are you still in santa monica ca, because I wanan meet up with some LA peeps that ride 600rr.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
live and work in Santa Monica. usually riding up at ACH, sometimes malibu. right now the bike has track bodywork on it so it wont see the street much till after fontana on 4/22.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts