Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've used the search, and came up with the conclusion that I more than likely have a bad regulator/rectifier. 2005 cbr600rr. When the bike is cold, it starts right up with no issues. Once the temps get to 180+ it won't start back up unless I let it cool down, and it will not idle. It cranks the motor once or twice, kind of like the battery is dead. (Battery is only about a month old.) Now when it is doing this, the meter on the battery says the battery is completely dead. However, once it cools off, the battery meter goes back to saying fully charged. (I don't completely trust the battery meter.) Also it will not idle, in neutral or in gear with the clutch held in, when it is warm and I'm having these symptoms. Once it's cool it idles at 1200-1300 rpm with no problems. Is it a bad R/R?? The only reason I'm not 100% sure its the R/R is the idle issue, and the fact that the voltage on the battery is at around 12.9, and at 4k+ rpm it still reads the exact same thing, which makes me think the charging system isn't functioning properly. Any help??

·
Registered
862 Posts
If by battery meter you mean DC volt meter or a multi-meter set to DC volts, why don't you trust it? Just curious about that point. When you say completely dead, what's it actually reading? 0? or something less than 12v?

Assuming the meter works and is set to read correctly, the battery is hosed. Figuring out why it got there will require more information than what you've given.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Then grab a normal multimeter and do the measurements when cold, just after start and rev, and when it's warm and refusing to fire. That'll be a good start anyway.

·
Registered
617 Posts
my quick guess, would either be coolant, or possibly a faulty radiator?

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
If you are right, then fix it right away...

Your conclussion makes sense to me, but if you keep using the bike with a bad RR you are gonna burn your alternator... and maybe some more things...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Actually to me it's sounding more stator but it's hard to tell for sure without doing the full tests in the service manual.

You say your charging voltage (bike running, meter on the battery) is 12.9V and never goes higher? That's low, should be more in the 13+ range but it could be stator having a low output or the RR is flaking and drawing the system down but you say it holds a steady voltage while revving which shows its at least somewhat working.

You really need to do the service manual tests to be sure as this could go either way and the longer you ride it like this the more likely you'll be to need stator, RR and battery all replaced.

Get a manual, do the tests and get back to us with the findings.

Mike

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just wanted to post my update for you.

So I replaced my battery and it fixed my problem. My old battery worked fine, i even took it to get tested and they said it was ok too. Which is why I never replace it. but figured since I already replaced my RR and stator and the fact that the batter is a few years old I needed to replace it anyways.

Luckily it was the battery. I bought a cheap one by the way on ebay for $20 with a year warranty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts