Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you've probably known I bought a black '09 CBR600RR to replace my crashed (total) '05 Repsol.

So far I heaven't reached 600 miles yet on this bike (almost there maybe one more ride) but I have been playing/experimenting a lot with this bike (i.e., clutch, throttle, gears, and leaning).

What I find interesting with this '09 CBR600RR from the experiments is that once I am in sixth gear it seems I don't need to shift to lower gears to accelerate.

Case in point, I am in sixth gear and decelerate the RPM from 10K to below 5K and I open the throttle to accelerate to 10K again and amazingly the bike just takes off without noticeable lagging. The power on demand seems to be available instantaneously.

NOTE: I have bigger and powerful bikes but I have never experienced this power on demand below 5K RPM (including my RIP '05 Repsol). How did Honda do it on '09 CBR600RR's?

·
Registered
188 Posts
love the midrange on the 07+ 600RRs... i've logged a lot of seat time on 03 and 05 600rr's and they definitely didn't have the power/response like you said. if you like this though - try the 08+ 1000rr... that's quite an amazing bike too.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Whore
4,993 Posts
I will do 20-25 in 5th or 6th gear when im rolling though the neighborhood at 3 and 4 am coming home from work People dont like the sound of two bros at that time but never for just riding on the streets

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<if you like this though - try the 08+ 1000rr... that's quite an amazing bike too.>

Someday, I will get a 1000CC again, 600CC's got power but I still miss that rush of power of a 1000CC.

<For me on my 07, 6th gear is good from 25mph up. It's like having a electric bike. Awesome.>

I wouldn't intentionally or purposely ride at 25 MPH in sixth gear. That kind of speed is probably better in second gear.

From the experiment, below 5K RPM was about forty something MPH but I wouldn't be surprised if the bike still can accelerate from 25 MPH. I'll give it a try next time (just to collect more data points).

·
Registered
69 Posts
interesting, i will have to try that
It's not like I can accelerate fast that low in the rev range but if I am slowing down for traffic or whatever and don't feel like down shifting because I know traffic speed is going to pick back I can roll easy back on the throttle and it picks up fine from 25mph. I tend to be in the highest gear possible most of the time. I am not one of those douches that needs to be in first gear when going 40mph down the road just making noise to make themselves feel special. I'm fully aware that if I want real "performance" I need to run in the upper revs. FWIW I am 150lbs.

Anyway, the flexibility of my CBR's engine is very impressive as well as it's smoothness and the fact that I am averaging a little more than 50mpg.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<I tend to be in the highest gear possible most of the time.>

You've got the right attitude. Whenever possible you want to ride your bike at the highest or higher gear (in straight lines or twisties).

<I am not one of those douches that needs to be in first gear when going 40mph down the road just making noise to make themselves feel special.>

Sh*t, if I was the engine I would say to myself why this fu&king idiot rider is not shifting to a higher gear(s)? It's getting rough and hot here.

<that I am averaging a little more than 50mpg>

That's fu&king great!!!! Everyone's riding style is different; for example, I can only get 30-35 MPG on my cruiser ('06 VTX 1300R). Some people claimed at the cruisers' web sites they can get > 60 MPG on a VTX 1300R. I just said to myself that's fu&king insane.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts