Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been a member for a couple of months and enjoy reading the posts whilst I've been looking for a suitable CBR600RR to buy.
I think I have found one but it looks too good to be true and wanted to ask the experts about a couple of things.

The bike I've seen is an 2011 in tri colour, with only 850 miles (yes eight hundred and fifty). I am a little suspicious on the basis that this is a 5 year old bike that has done less than 200 miles a year.
It looks tidy enough from the pictures, but what I'd like to know from those who have had the benefit of experience is:

1)Is it possible to clock the odometer these days?

2)Assuming the mileage is legit, are there any things I should be wary of about a bike that hasn't even been run in, and has potentially been sat in a garage for long periods?

3)Are there dead give aways I can keep a look out for if the bike has been clocked back on the mileage?

Thanks for your help! If it all goes well I may well have my first project under way soon! :)

All the best

Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
The bike I've seen is an 2011 in tri colour, with only 850 miles (yes eight hundred and fifty). I am a little suspicious on the basis that this is a 5 year old bike that has done less than 200 miles a year.
When I bought my 03 model it only had 30000km (18000mi), which isn't too bad for a 11 year old bike when I bought it. That equated to roughly 2800km (1700mi) per year, and our weather is perfect all year round to ride.

Maybe previous owner bought it before winter and then didn't like riding so was stored, never to be ridden again.

If I were to buy it, I would drop the oil, coolant, and check the tank for rust.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Happens a lot here in the states. Specifically new england. Man has mid life crisis and buys bike. Realized time, weather, and how much he enjoys it is significantly less than he thought. takes years for him to bite the bullet on the loss to sell...
Things to check, tires, at 850 they should still look fairly new. Check for pitting from road debris. should be minimal. And oil condition should look brand new. If its black or really dark, chances are there are 8500 miles on her.
If it makes you feel better, my father has a 1997 Honda Shadow 1100 American Classic and it only has 4800 miles on her. Why? He rides it 2 or 3 times a year and if you ask him why he even has it he says and I quote, "I used to ride all the time, now not so much. But if I sell it, I'll want to ride every weekend. Knowing its there if I want it makes me feel better." So old bikes with low miles are out there.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I probably only get about 200-300 miles on my bike a year. Mainly because I'm unable to ride during the week a ton and most weekends it seems the rain god of Texas is hell bent on preventing me from riding, but also it gets blisteringly hot in the summer and I refuse to ride without my leather jacket, helmet, and gloves.

I've had my bike for 6 years now and put only about 1500 miles on it total.

Man I need to ride more.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
I probably only get about 200-300 miles on my bike a year. Mainly because I'm unable to ride during the week a ton and most weekends it seems the rain god of Texas is hell bent on preventing me from riding, but also it gets blisteringly hot in the summer and I refuse to ride without my leather jacket, helmet, and gloves.

Amen to this! When the weather's nice, I have other plans. When my whole day is free, it rains. And the summer heat/humidity is coming to Virginia soon, won't make riding with all that gear much fun. But like you, I refuse to ride without it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, really appreciate the input and advice so thank you for your thoughts.
I am going to see two on Saturday so hopefully I'll be posting back on my newest purchase soon!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi all,

I've been a member for a couple of months and enjoy reading the posts whilst I've been looking for a suitable CBR600RR to buy.
I think I have found one but it looks too good to be true and wanted to ask the experts about a couple of things.

It looks tidy enough from the pictures, but what I'd like to know from those who have had the benefit of experience is:

1)Is it possible to clock the odometer these days?

2)Assuming the mileage is legit, are there any things I should be wary of about a bike that hasn't even been run in, and has potentially been sat in a garage for long periods?

3)Are there dead give aways I can keep a look out for if the bike has been clocked back on the mileage?

Thanks for your help! If it all goes well I may well have my first project under way soon! :)

All the best

Steve
1) I don't know

2) I bought my 08 cbr600rr in 2013 with 107 miles. One of the two wires connecting the fuel pump, inside the gas tank, was faulty. Most likely due to the affects of old gas. That's the only thing I would worry about in your situation.

3)Look at the tire. It should be the original and show 800 miles of wear. Look at the date when the tire was made. It should correlate, to an extent, the year the bike was made. If the tire was made in 2012 than question the owner if he ever changed the tires and whether he is the first owner, etc. If the owner says he never changed the tires and is the first owner than he is simply lying.

You don't necessarily have to even look at the bike to know whether what is presented in front of you is genuine or not. If the owner is lying than more than likely he/she is hiding other facts as well.

Look at the condition of the chain and how far out it has been adjusted. Look at the condition of the oil. Look for any stripped screws or marks indicating fiddling around the front end, etc.

If his/her story is dramatically different than what you see in front of you than use your judgement whether it would be wise to spend X amount dollars on purchasing it. Or pounds in your case lol.

Best of luck Homie!

·
Registered
72 Posts

Suck it up! I ride throughout the bs Texas summers in a leather jacket, boots, and gauntlet gloves. The 120+ degrees I feel when I'm sitting in traffic is definitely shitty but it's totally worth it once I get on the highway. Hell I put 150ish miles on yesterday and it started raining about halfway through my ride. If you need someone to keep you company during your blistering hot ride hit me up lol.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, as long as you're moving the TX heat isn't too bad. Get out of the city and hit the country roads and it's quite pleasant.

On the bike question, if you do buy it, and it does still have the original tires you should most likely replace them. At 5 years old they have probably gotten rather hard and even though they have plenty of tread left they will not grip like they should. Best to throw some fresh rubber on.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've been averaging about 500 - 700 miles a month and I feel I don't ride as nearly as much as I should. I use it mostly for transport while having my work truck on the flip side. So yeah, it's believable that a bike would have so few miles since you really have to love riding to rack up some decent mileage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts