Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed my motofans fairings and picked up some TechSpecs to help with my body positioning. However, the pre-cut ones I think ruin the look of the bike. Wanted to get the .net's opinion on how I should install them. They sell a general sheet that I could cut myself, but the cuts definitely wouldn't look as clean.

Pics:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea from what I hear the clear ones end up with bubbles and start to fade to a yellowish color from the sun, so I went with the snakeskin.

·
Registered
735 Posts
honestly, i think the pre-cut ones would look fine.... they would go against the lines of the wings that extend to the tank, but they wouldn't go against the general lines of the bike.

I don't see how you can cut the general sheet out to match the lines of the wing tip on the tank.

Plus, cutting your own out will be hard to make perfectly symmetrical like the pre-cut ones already are....

·
Registered
735 Posts
how your holding it in the second picture is exactly how i would apply them....

the aft part with a 'v' lined up to their respective lines on the tank and that lower part of the grip parallel to the bottom line of the tank.

·
Registered
735 Posts
this is how I applied them to my bike. I know ours might not be the same year bikes. but this may give you a general idea.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome man. That's exactly why I asked here. I'll just put it on like you did. Your bike looks fantastic btw.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Awesome man. That's exactly why I asked here. I'll just put it on like you did. Your bike looks fantastic btw.

Thanks for the compliment about my bike!

help me out really quick. if you have quick access to your bike.

if you're by your bike do me a quick favor, turn it on and toggle your high beam on and off, while your doing this pay attention to your low beam bulb....

does the low beam flicker or dim at all...?

post your observations here....

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=191099

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Fwiw

I cut my own from that generic sheet for the very reason your talking about - I didn't want it overlaying the painted 'stripes'.

My first cut (pun intended) was to fill the area "under" that pointy painted stripe and see how it works out. Now my bike is black with silver highlights so the cut pad doesn't really show that much. I've taken it for a few test rides and while it does help a lot with grip it's not as "good" as it would be if it were bigger. I have a track day Sunday where I'll really stress test it and I'll get back to you. I'm not likely to be hanging off like Rossi so I'm hoping this will be good enough. If not sure then I'll have to go to Plan B (after I come up with one).

Cutting that stuff isn't too bad but I'm sure the edges are not as crisp as when you get it pre-cut.

A couple of pic's (that tank protector was already there when I got the bike so it doesn't match). The top edge is the factory cut so it's pretty good. The more ragged ones on the other sides are my cuts with a pair of scissors. I could probably smooth it more but I figure I'm going to rough it up riding anyway. The flash makes it look like a lot more contrast than it has in normal lighting but I wanted you to be able to see what it looked like. To the naked eye the black pads don't stand out at all.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Quick Follow-up

I did a track day last weekend with the grips installed as above and it worked "Good". Even though I'm a rookie on the track I'm pretty hard on the brakes and that is where I've always had the most problem holding onto the tank and sliding forward. This set-up worked fine and I didn't notice any problem at all - no sliding around and no problem controling the bike with my lower body. Without the pads I had a terrible time.

I will say that it won't be as good of a grip as you would get with the pads covering more of the tank because my knees are not aligned with the grips (just the inside of my thighs). I don't notice any sliping but I have to think that it would be slightly more reliable with my knees touching the grips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts