Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey im new to the forum. hoping some one can shed some light on my problem cause im stumped. i have a 2003 600RR. i bought it the day it came out. been a great bike no problems in mint condition. i do all the regular maintenence and take excellent care of her. the other day i was riding down the highway not checking the gas gage and ran it clean out of gas. luckily my buddy was riding with me and was able to ride ahead and bring back some gas. dumped in some gas, started right up and took off. rode to the gas station, topped it off, started up and got back on the highway. throttle response and everything was fine no power/throttle surge but getting off on the off ramp when pulling in the clutch the bike died. its like the fuel injection is getting starved now every time in this situation. it starts fine and idles just sitting there. but during deceleration if you pull the clutch in and hold or shift into N to coast she cant bring the idle in before stalling. what is the deal? sorry for the long post here is something to look at for your time.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I was wondering if running it dry damaged the fuel pump. When's the last time you changed the air filter?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I can't be of any help, just want to peek my head in to see how it's going to work out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did disconnect the battery and tried that route to no avail. yeah i was concerned about the fuel pump too but man it just runs so good in every other condition. i changed out the stock air filter with a street BMC around 4000mi. bikes got about 9000mi on it now.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Random idea - tried fiddling with the idle setting and raising it?

Soon after I bought my bike, I had to do just that. Don't know why, coz it worked perfectly when I bought it. Then one day, she just started cutting out when coasting with the clutch in.

B.T.W It works just fine now - No probs or anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i have a jardine carbon slip on/midpipe. sure thats a reasonable idea. it is a air/fuel mixture adjustment though right? not idle? so im thinking turn right to richen the mix? i have a an air/fuel gage so i can monitor. i will try that tomorrow morning and post results then. thanks for today.

·
Registered
883 Posts
We are talking about the little thumb adjuster on the left side of the bike near the engine case, right? That adjuster is not air/fuel, to my knowledge. It is idle speed. As you are sitting on the bike, turn the adjuster toward you (clockwise) to raise the idle speed.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Negative. That's only your idle air/fuel mixture. I would get the bike on a dyno and check the fuel map first. Then set the idle adjustment. Otherwise you could be covering up for a bad fuel map.

·
Registered
883 Posts
So which is it? Idle or air/fuel?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i was pretty sure that was the air/fuel adjuster. the bad map part of your post is puzzling me though? maybe i mislead you in my previous post. i have a jardine slip on but i do NOT have a power commander. you arent implying a bad map from the factory are you?

·
Registered
82 Posts
You probably sucked up grit at the bottom of your tank when you ran it dry. Now the grit is cloging your fuel filter and possible your fuel injectors.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
ilangsfs said:
So which is it? Idle or air/fuel?
It's a throtte stop screw. It adjusts engine idle speed. Optimum idle speed is 1,300 + or - 100 RPM Adjustments should be made when the bike is at normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
during riding this morning i adjusted the idle clockwise but was only able to raise it to about 1300rpms cold and 1000after normal operating temp. but that was it. further rotating the screw knob did not raise the idle. i think there is a problem with my idle thumb screw.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Wouldn't the grit sink to the bottom anyways though? And I think the filter is big enough to not be covered? Well, wait for it to get low and shine a flashlight in the tank.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
sscycle said:
during riding this morning i adjusted the idle clockwise but was only able to raise it to about 1300rpms cold and 1000after normal operating temp. but that was it. further rotating the screw knob did not raise the idle. i think there is a problem with my idle thumb screw.
Yep, that is not normal. Something is messed up with that screw and/or cable. And you need to check your throttle cables also for proper adjustment. How this would have anything to do with running out of gas, it doesn't. Sometimes problems occur simultaneously, making it hard to figure them out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts