Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my clutch cable today while installing a new lever and found this..... I know it needs to be replaced asap but I think I can still ride with it, til I get a new cable soon.
What would I have to do to prevent this from happening to the new cable?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
wow seriously never seen that before. looks like it would take a serious chemical burn or flame to do that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its running under the right mids. I never touch/move/checked it until yesterday. I don't know if the dealer or previous owner moved it or anything.
I'll try to take pics of it and maybe with the fairing off.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a pic..

The melted part is under the fairings

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How should it be routed though?
Yeah I'm gonna as soon as I can but it looks like it's been open for awhile coz of all the rust

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
def needs to be replaced of course.

are you the only owner of the bike?
i wonder if you are not, if the prev owner did anything and re routed it incorrectly.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the bike used from a stealership.... Yeah it must've got re-routed by previous owner... I'm gonna check the manual for where the cable should be and if I can't did nothing I'll come back to this thread. Thanks all!!!
Should I just avoid riding the bike until I get it replaced then? Or am I gonna be safe riding it for 25 miles work commute?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
You will be fine mate, worse case it snaps and the bike stalls...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ugh! i cant find anything about where the cable stock location should be running. :cursin:

I might just buy a stainless clutch cable... any suggestion on that, where can i buy it and what brands?

Thanks!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I bought the bike used from a stealership.... Yeah it must've got re-routed by previous owner... I'm gonna check the manual for where the cable should be and if I can't did nothing I'll come back to this thread. Thanks all!!!
Should I just avoid riding the bike until I get it replaced then? Or am I gonna be safe riding it for 25 miles work commute?
You'll be fine. The cable should hold, and if it does break, like Nico said- you'll be alright. I've had 3 clutch cables go on me mid-ride before, 2 on my '79 Kawasaki and one on my '03 RR, and it's been very manageable. I actually had to ride the '03 45 miles home completely clutchlessly...
...which is not advisable, but it's definitely possible. I felt like I was shooting Old Yeller. Poor bike...

It fared well in the end.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
anyone know where i can buy clutch cable?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.