Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed my coolant. I think I may of over filled it. It was at the very top of the radiator when I put the cap on. Can this affect my temperatures? Will it automatically bleed excess out? Do I need to remove some of this fluid? Will it automatically go to the resevoir? Thanks

K

·
0 Posts
I recently changed my coolant. I think I may of over filled it. It was at the very top of the radiator when I put the cap on. Can this affect my temperatures? Will it automatically bleed excess out? Do I need to remove some of this fluid? Will it automatically go to the resevoir? Thanks
so long as the air in the block was evacuated into the radiator, and you filled it to the top and capped it, it will bleed. with the cap on when you whack the throttle.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Huh, I haven't ridden in anything super hot yet, but when the fan kicks in it always starts going down, never seen above 222.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fresh Flush, now temp issues

I've had a couple threads going and I wanted to consolidate to answer the questions better. First off I recently did a coolant flush of my system. I did burp the air out. Coolant lvls look ok and the resevoir is near full hot.

When I first start the bike everything is fine it slowly climbs to about 184 and the thermostat opens up. The temp then drops about 15 degrees and slowly inches up from there. In stop and go traffic it can climb as high as 225 but always drops once I start riding. I've noticed now that even going around 40mph the temp will be around 194 and slowly inch up from there. I haven't had the chance to ride it long enough to find out how high it goes.

I've also notice there are temps when the gauge bounces back and forth from 191 to 194 for about 30 seconds then decides to climb. I've also noticed this at about 201 to 203, it will just jump back and forth from those two temps until it finally gets hotter or colder.

I'm just really worried that I messed something up when I did the flush and now the bike is going to suffer. Is it normal to run in the mid 190's cruising at 40-50 mph.

Thankps for all of your help guys I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
It's too hard for people to go back and find other threads you posted to see what you have and have not done. It causes redundant questions and confusion. Just stick to bumping your old threads back up.

1) What coolant did you use?

2) You need to have both the radiator cap AND the reservoir cap off when your trying to burp the system per SM.

3) When filling the radiator you should have had the bike upright and NOT on the side stand.

With that being said, your temps still seem quite normal to me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's too hard for people to go back and find other threads you posted to see what you have and have not done. It causes redundant questions and confusion. Just stick to bumping your old threads back up.

1) What coolant did you use?

2) You need to have both the radiator cap AND the reservoir cap off when your trying to burp the system per SM.

3) When filling the radiator you should have had the bike upright and NOT on the side stand.

With that being said, your temps still seem quite normal to me.

I used Prestone 50/50, it was what was at Advanced Auto at the time and I didn't want to pay the higher prices at the dealership. I had the radiator cap off but not the resevoir cap off, and I had the bike on a rear stand when I was filling and burping. I'm more worried that the temps don't act the same as they did before and I suppose as long as its not going higher than 225 in traffic I'm ok.

Thanks again for the help you guys provide I would be a wreck without the advice I get from you.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts

I don't understand how you figure this.

If the radiator cap is off then why would you also need to also open the reservoir cap? The hose to the reservoir is open and not needed when the radiator cap is off.

The bike is made so that the highest point in the system is at the radiator cap when the bike is on the side stand. This way when you run the bike to bleed it all the air will exit at the cap.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't understand how you figure this.

If the radiator cap is off then why would you also need to also open the reservoir cap? The hose to the reservoir is open and not needed when the radiator cap is off.

The bike is made so that the highest point in the system is at the radiator cap when the bike is on the side stand. This way when you run the bike to bleed it all the air will exit at the cap.

I'm confused too, also with Knightslugger stating that the caps should be on when you bleed the system.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I was not questioning if the radiator cap had to be off, I was curious why you think the reservoir cap must be off. I think the manual is worded in an unclear way. But that doesnt really matter. I am more curious where you learned that the bike must be upright and not on the side stand for the bleeding process.

K

·
0 Posts
You know what? It doesn't fuckin matter. put coolant in the radiator, start it up, put more in, burp it, make a frickn mess if you must... there's a clean why to do it, and there is a potential environmental mess way to do it.

to be honest, i don't care which way you do it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts