Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was in traffic , nyc manhattan during rush hour friday night..
we are talking bumper to bumper gridlock, and it was 82 degrees out on top of that..

i hit about 252/253 degrees on the bike, for a good 10 mins...
whats the longterm negative effect on that, everyone said it was bad... the red light came on, i freaked out and my pants started to burn almost..

i shut the bike off a few mins and let her cool down.. turned back on, 245 degrees, rode 10 more mins to my destination and then left her off...

would u belive, 2 hrs later when i rode, she wuz immediatley still 90 degrees.

·
Registered
526 Posts
so it almost overheats at around 253, ive never got near that, that makes me feel better

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
you should of shut it off around 240 or so.. no point in letting it idle at that temp in traffic...

as long as you didnt totally overheat i think you are fine..

just make sure that you check your coolant level before you ride again. also just check over the oil as well to make sure that everything is allright..

·
Registered
450 Posts
wow 253, i never thought it would go that high. my highest is 220-223? im glad i live in ca where lan splitting is legal :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think the highest I've seen was 240 or mid 230s and it wasn't there long. I thought they said if it gets over 230 to shut it off. If traffic is that backed up it only takes a moment to start the bike again. Turn it off if you're waiting in traffic like that. And keep the key in the on position so you can let the fan cool the coolant while you're sitting there.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
wait, i remember someone leaving the key on the on position and the battery drained.. so is it safe to leave it on on or to turn it off?

·
2,926 Posts
the bike officially overheats at like 264 or so.. that is what the manual says.. the the manual says to turn the bike off at 250... that is what they reccommend.. the temp will start flashing at 248 and the warning light will come on at like 252..

yeah.. keep the key in the on position to keep the fan running to cool the radiator down.. however dont leave it on too long, as you are running the battery down..

never leave the key in the on position when you are done riding your bike, let it cool down with everything off.. never leave the key on if you are done riding for the day.

·
Registered
696 Posts
i always well twice in the last month left my key in the on position when I get home from somewhere. Then I go out to the garage and see the lights on and it wont start. If this happens turn it off for 20 mins it started both times.

·
2,926 Posts
i always pull my keys out to keep that from happening... much safer that way as well...

dont want to get in the habit of being out with the bike and leaving the keys in it all the time.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
if you don't want the fan to run just hit the kill switch... :bitchslap: then you can flip switch on and hit the starter

·
Registered
392 Posts
Had to turn her off today. . .

Went on a lil trip, well one of our local malls got revamped and everyone is flocking to it now. So I neglected this and found myself in a gridlock. Bike was mid 230s and I hit the kill switch and flipped it back so the fan would run. I wasn't going anywhere for awhile :roll: Definitely help, when I turned her back on she cooled back down to the 220s however I will say she seemed to strain a lil more to start I suppose from the heat.

·
Registered
262 Posts
LOL... my friend had his up to 264 before.... you should have heard the coolant boiling like a tea kettle... Rolling burnouts on a hot day... Too damned hot to do that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Out here in the California desert, it maxed out at 117F this month and the times I was out in it I never saw my temp go above 231, even sitting in traffic with the fan going non stop. How your's got to 250+ is the question. Even idling on the 91 afternoon bloody sore excuse for a poorly planned nightmare freeway, I never saw it go above that temp... (My patience for that 4 lane debachle made my head overheat plenty of times though... Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread)

Anyhow, hmmm.. wonder if your temp gauge may be the problem. DID your fan ever come on...?

·
2,926 Posts
RavenRR... that is probably because from the dealership you have a lot more water added to the coolant, Water can disperce heat alot more than radiator fluid can and that is why you run alot cooler temp. Here in NY our bikes have a solution in them to prepare them for winter storage as well, so we have alot more radiator fluid in ours with wont cool as well as water will..

all has to do with the solution of coolant in the radiator. If i went with more water, i would have to drain the bike before winter to keep it from freezing and cracking my raidiator.

·
Registered
118 Posts
KhMeRGuY978 said:
wait, i remember someone leaving the key on the on position and the battery drained.. so is it safe to leave it on on or to turn it off?
The battery will drain fairly quickly if left in the "on" position.

·
Registered
175 Posts
CBRKid. thanks for the info, didn't think of that as being a possibility, since it was summer time everywhere but it makes sense.

·
Registered
53 Posts
today i had a wonderful episode!!! i was sitting in construction at a standstill for about 30 min. i notice the temp started to climb into the mid 230's so i shut the bike off and when I go to refire it....Nothing!!! Somehow the battery took a **** when I turned it off. I had to get a friend w/ a pickup truck to come and get me, the battery wouldn't even stay charged after jumping it, i ended up having to get a brand new one...this ever happen to anybody else, what could have happened, i'd like to avoid it!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I just heard this from one of the guys I know, he tells me that the problem with overheating on 600RR is because of the undertail exhuast. Is that true by any chance?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts