Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well like the title says my bike has started to overheat alot. I finally got around to taking it apart to see what was wrong with it. The fuse is good and so is the relay. Well under the relay I see some sort of green powder. I'm like wtf is that from. Well it looks like one of the wires got corroaded and was severed. So the fan wasen't getting the signal to turn on. I took it to the dealership and they are going to install a whole new wire harness on the bike. Luckly my bike was still under warrenty. My question is should I buy the extended warrenty now that I have had some overheating issues. The temp on the bike actually hit 250 before I noticed it and the oil light came on. It was on for like 5 minutes max. Does it pay to buy the extra warrenty for incase something did happen. Or should I try to get the dealership to give the extended warrenty for just the reason that my bike overheated bigtime and possible hurt the motor in the process.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
tough to say. Usually any damage caused by an overheating engine will be noticed right away. If they will give you the warranty or possibly a good deal on it then you should buy it, but its probably a non issue if the bike is still running the same.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the bike will automatically shut off if the operating temperature goes above a certain threshold.

if you want to buy an extended warranty, that's your prerogative... but they dont owe you one in any way.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Throw so Engine Ice in it while you at it.

Jason

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
oak said:
the bike will automatically shut off if the operating temperature goes above a certain threshold.

if you want to buy an extended warranty, that's your prerogative... but they dont owe you one in any way.
How do you know that? I've never seen anything about that in the SM or the OM but I've never overheated the bike before either.

250°F is not that bad. It shouldn't have damaged anything and if it did you'll know it shortly. If you want a little more piece of mind have the dealer perform a compression test to make sure the head gasket didn't fail or there are no cracks in the head or block. Keep an eye on your oil for the next couple of weeks. If you see any faom or grey oil take it back to the dealer ASAP. How much of your standard warranty is left?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts