Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 894 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally had the guts to start a build thread here, i know it's nothing special as it's just an old 03-04 600RR but anyway here's the story.

last Dec i crashed my bike in a lowside when i overtook a rider on the outside of turn3 at my favorite track which is known as "the corkscrew" which is inspired by the Laguna Seca circuit. the damage would have been minimal if it weren't for the Vortex frame sliders breaking off but it hit something hard when it slid off the track so can't blame all of it on the frame slider. it also took out my swingarm spool so my swingarm is facked so now i'm in the hunt for a new one.

also the engine is consuming oil, as i roll off the throttle the riders behind me can clearly see smoke coming out of my exhaust outlet so engine needs to be rebuilt too, i already bought piston rings, valve stem seals, head gasket & some other stuff for it, should be here next month as shipping by sea cargo is cheaper but so damn slow to arrive.

now i have decided to convert my bike from street/track to track/race only as i plan to race in the 600 superstock class next year so i'm going to prep my bike this year in advance, hopefully by Nov or Dec the bike will be completed in time for it's shakedown runs at the track.

for track bodywork i'm leaning towards Optimal if they make one for the 03-04 models, if not then i have to look for somewhere else. i already have spare wheels to mount my rain tires on thanks to strgt, a spare Power One V front tire which i will use for practice when i get a matching rear tire for it, an HRC secondary rad along with silicone hoses (and a spare rad) so thanks to Robot Ninja Pilot for a sweet deal.

i already have a host of mods done to my bike & i shall upload pics later once i get this rebuild up & running, when the engine parts arrive i'll start the disassembly of the bike. i just hope the bores are still in good condition, can't afford a new motor or a replate at the moment.

Reactions: Sba and ICEMAN78

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I didn't know you crashed Pare. good luck with the build, i'll definitely be checkin in to see how far you get.

:cheers: <-- San Miguel Beer

Reactions: OveRReV

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the encouragement, now a rebuild thread is worthless without pics so here's the lowdown on what i have at the moment.

WP steering damper

HEL brake line kit

Euro Racing riser plate & shifter kit

WP 4618 racing shock

Polini Evolution Titanium slip-on (my first exhaust mod)

Ohlins 0.90 kg/mm fork springs

modified compression & rebound pistons & shim stack with Bitubo shims

Bitubo shims set

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Brembo 19RCS MC

Akrapovic Evolution full system

Power Commander III USB with downloaded map

AFAM 15/47 sprockets with DID ERV3 520 racing chain

Zero Gravity double bubble windscreen

HRC auxilliary radiator with the spare OEM rad

i will post up more pics later, i'll show what's left of the vortex frame sliders & the damage done to my swinagrm, this bike is getting a major makeover.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have spent your money on some very nice parts.
money is hard to come by these days so i should only buy things that really make a difference, i didn't buy this all at once though it took me a lot of work & saving before i bought the rear shock, full system, PCIII, Brembo & other stuff in there.

now i'm in the process of rebuilding the engine & i just spent $300 on head gasket, piston rings, valve stem seals, steering head bearings, slider & guide bushings for the fork & a couple of days ago i also got a very nice front wheel complete with rotors for $200 so the completes my spare wheel set & this is what i'll be using it for.

Michelin Pilot Race rain tires 12/60-17 & 18/67-17

they're practically brand new, i found them at a local japanese used parts dealer for a sweet price of $50, that takes care of my wet tires.

i'll post more pics of what i have acquired for my bike, hopefully this guy who used to race his 03-04 600RR has most of his stuff lying around, i'm interested in getting his track bodywork from him.

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
money is hard to come by these days so i should only buy things that really make a difference, i didn't buy this all at once though it took me a lot of work & saving before i bought the rear shock, full system, PCIII, Brembo & other stuff in there.
I hear ya man it has taken me a year to get some decent parts.

·
Registered
444 Posts
looking good so far

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looking good so far
not from my point of view, i haven't touched the bike yet & just thinking about disassembling it puts shivers down my spine, i just hope the engine holds up together long enough to finish the season when i'm done with the rebuild. LOL

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
not from my point of view, i haven't touched the bike yet & just thinking about disassembling it puts shivers down my spine, i just hope the engine holds up together long enough to finish the season when i'm done with the rebuild. LOL
It should, just inspect everything, might have to go with 1mm overbore pistons if the bore is scuffed up.

Also are you gonna get all balls tapered steering head bearings? They hold up better in a crash. What tools are you gonna get to put them in? You can use a dremel and carefully cut the old bearing race off the stem but it's best to get the tool to put the new bearing race on. Also maybe upgrade to an 05-06 swing arm then get axle block sliders to save the swingarm in a crash.

Good luck man, I'm also looking to race my 2004, and will build it up soon :cruising:

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It should, just inspect everything, might have to go with 1mm overbore pistons if the bore is scuffed up.

Also are you gonna get all balls tapered steering head bearings? They hold up better in a crash. What tools are you gonna get to put them in? You can use a dremel and carefully cut the old bearing race off the stem but it's best to get the tool to put the new bearing race on. Also maybe upgrade to an 05-06 swing arm then get axle block sliders to save the swingarm in a crash.

Good luck man, I'm also looking to race my 2004, and will build it up soon :cruising:
that is what i'm afraid of, a scuffed bore, going to cost me an arm & a leg to send off my case to be replated there, i just hope it's the rings or valve stem seal that's the culprit.

i just bought the OEM steering head bearings, had i known there was a tapered version available i would've got them instead, got link for that?

i'm racing under superstock rules so i need to get the right year swingarm for my bike, too bad the 05-06 swingarms have a nicer look & slightly lighter but rules are rules.

finally found a set of race bodywork locally, got it for $250 from a retired racer who used to race an 03-04 600RR, he had a lot of good stuff on his bike including an STM slipper clutch, too bad somebody already beat me to it & all he has left a a yoyodyne slipper clutch, i'm going to have to track down that STM slipper i may need it for future use.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Reactions: OveRReV

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
finally scored a set of race fairings from a retired 600RR supersport racer, got the whole thing for $250, all it needs is some drilling & a new paint scheme, now which bike do i have to copy here? hmmmmmmm..... :D

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
NICE! looks like you scored some carbon fiber! the paint doesn't look bad either, I guess you just want to make the color scheme your own?

I

·
0 Posts
Are those side pieces carbon or just a CF sheet over the original ones. I've been looking for CF ones for a while. You have some very sexy parts there.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Are those side pieces carbon or just a CF sheet over the original ones. I've been looking for CF ones for a while. You have some very sexy parts there.
Yeah they look like Carbon Fiber to me, but they're not close enough to the camera to tell for sure. I've seen them on ebay before. Not sure if you'll have any luck.

Beautiful parts overrev,

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
thanks everyone, yes the side panels & hugger are CF, he threw those in as he has no more use for them.

once i get some bikes off the shop i can start tearing down the motor, hope it isn't a scuffed bore or i'm facked.

1 - 20 of 894 Posts