Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

OveRReV's 2003 CBR 600RR Track Build

129K views 893 replies 85 participants last post by  tary preisser 
#1 ·
well i finally had the guts to start a build thread here, i know it's nothing special as it's just an old 03-04 600RR but anyway here's the story.

last Dec i crashed my bike in a lowside when i overtook a rider on the outside of turn3 at my favorite track which is known as "the corkscrew" which is inspired by the Laguna Seca circuit. the damage would have been minimal if it weren't for the Vortex frame sliders breaking off but it hit something hard when it slid off the track so can't blame all of it on the frame slider. it also took out my swingarm spool so my swingarm is facked so now i'm in the hunt for a new one.

also the engine is consuming oil, as i roll off the throttle the riders behind me can clearly see smoke coming out of my exhaust outlet so engine needs to be rebuilt too, i already bought piston rings, valve stem seals, head gasket & some other stuff for it, should be here next month as shipping by sea cargo is cheaper but so damn slow to arrive.

now i have decided to convert my bike from street/track to track/race only as i plan to race in the 600 superstock class next year so i'm going to prep my bike this year in advance, hopefully by Nov or Dec the bike will be completed in time for it's shakedown runs at the track.

for track bodywork i'm leaning towards Optimal if they make one for the 03-04 models, if not then i have to look for somewhere else. i already have spare wheels to mount my rain tires on thanks to strgt, a spare Power One V front tire which i will use for practice when i get a matching rear tire for it, an HRC secondary rad along with silicone hoses (and a spare rad) so thanks to Robot Ninja Pilot for a sweet deal.

i already have a host of mods done to my bike & i shall upload pics later once i get this rebuild up & running, when the engine parts arrive i'll start the disassembly of the bike. i just hope the bores are still in good condition, can't afford a new motor or a replate at the moment.

See less See more
Reactions: Sba and ICEMAN78
#5 ·
thanks for the encouragement, now a rebuild thread is worthless without pics so here's the lowdown on what i have at the moment.

WP steering damper

HEL brake line kit

Euro Racing riser plate & shifter kit

WP 4618 racing shock

Polini Evolution Titanium slip-on (my first exhaust mod)

Ohlins 0.90 kg/mm fork springs

modified compression & rebound pistons & shim stack with Bitubo shims

Bitubo shims set

#6 ·

Brembo 19RCS MC

Akrapovic Evolution full system

Power Commander III USB with downloaded map

AFAM 15/47 sprockets with DID ERV3 520 racing chain

Zero Gravity double bubble windscreen

HRC auxilliary radiator with the spare OEM rad

i will post up more pics later, i'll show what's left of the vortex frame sliders & the damage done to my swinagrm, this bike is getting a major makeover.

#8 ·
money is hard to come by these days so i should only buy things that really make a difference, i didn't buy this all at once though it took me a lot of work & saving before i bought the rear shock, full system, PCIII, Brembo & other stuff in there.

now i'm in the process of rebuilding the engine & i just spent $300 on head gasket, piston rings, valve stem seals, steering head bearings, slider & guide bushings for the fork & a couple of days ago i also got a very nice front wheel complete with rotors for $200 so the completes my spare wheel set & this is what i'll be using it for.

Michelin Pilot Race rain tires 12/60-17 & 18/67-17

they're practically brand new, i found them at a local japanese used parts dealer for a sweet price of $50, that takes care of my wet tires.

i'll post more pics of what i have acquired for my bike, hopefully this guy who used to race his 03-04 600RR has most of his stuff lying around, i'm interested in getting his track bodywork from him.

#10 ·
looking good so far

#11 ·
not from my point of view, i haven't touched the bike yet & just thinking about disassembling it puts shivers down my spine, i just hope the engine holds up together long enough to finish the season when i'm done with the rebuild. LOL

#14 ·
Reactions: OveRReV
#15 ·
oh damn it, i paid $23 for an OEM steering head bearing, had i known this i would have gotten it instead.

i want to kick myself now.

#16 ·
finally scored a set of race fairings from a retired 600RR supersport racer, got the whole thing for $250, all it needs is some drilling & a new paint scheme, now which bike do i have to copy here? hmmmmmmm..... :D

#17 ·
NICE! looks like you scored some carbon fiber! the paint doesn't look bad either, I guess you just want to make the color scheme your own?

#19 ·
Yeah they look like Carbon Fiber to me, but they're not close enough to the camera to tell for sure. I've seen them on ebay before. Not sure if you'll have any luck.

Beautiful parts overrev,

#20 · (Edited)
thanks everyone, yes the side panels & hugger are CF, he threw those in as he has no more use for them.

once i get some bikes off the shop i can start tearing down the motor, hope it isn't a scuffed bore or i'm facked.

#22 ·
OPP Racing has them, here's the link.

http://www.oppracing.com/product_di...set-adapter-plate-light-honda-cbr600rr-03-06/

if you do get them though you need to fab a small spacer for the shifter pivot, Euro Racing overlooked this small problem of machining the shaft a bit short, when you tighten the bolt it locks up the lever. see this thread for details.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=127341

for race fairing i was looking into this before i scored mine.

http://motofairings.com/products_details.php?id_producto=71&marca=5

$290 + shipping, let me know if you bought them, i want to see how it fits yours.

#24 ·
my front wheel just arrived at my friend's house, it came from an 05-06 & it's in perfect condition, the rotors are also included in the deal, not bad for $205 shipped.

good things come to those who wait.

#25 ·
got more stuff dropped off at my friend's place at WA.

#26 ·

still waiting for my swingarm to arrive, i haven't ordered spare DID ERV3 rivet links & a folding rear brake pedal yet.

#29 ·
thanks pare! yeah it's probably a good time to start a project page so all the guys here can see how cheap i am. LOL

anyway my new swingarm just got delivered to my friend's house, the last 3 pics showing the whole swingarm from both sides didn't load so this is the best i could get at the moment.

#31 ·
spool slider ripped the mount off when i lowsided my bike last Dec, there are depression built into the berm & the sliders caught them, it also broke my frame slider clear off the bike, if there were no depressions my bike would have survived with the fairings & swingarm intact.

i can have it rewelded but it won't look as good as before & since a replacement swingarm is cheap i got the one above for $72 shipped, i'm just filling up the balikbayan box before my friend ships the parts over to me, thinking of buying those Michelin Power One C 180/55 take offs to use as my practice tires, i already got a Power One V front with just 5 laps into them.

#33 ·
as of the last shipment it was the rear wheel, front tire, hrc radiator. this next shipment involves a swingarm, front wheel, assorted engine spare parts & small stuff.

i know of guys who brought in bikes in pieces but once they got it all up you'll have a hard time registering them as any imported vehicle must have a valid custom payment before they can be registered.

as it is in the Philippines everything can be done for a price.

#34 ·
as it is in the Philippines everything can be done for a price.
Price and connections lol..yeah I just want to bring one when I come visit I would like to try and make it out to that track out there. Any chance you know who they ship it through? LBC or whos the cheapest? I know the heaviest thing to send would be the makina.

#37 ·
i got the WP steering damper & rear shock from the UK, the damper was bought new from FTR suspension but they sent the wrong mounting kit so i sent it back & looked for the mounting kit somewhere else, months later i managed to find one in Italy at X-Parts.net. it cost me $700 for the steering damper kit but it was worth it.

rear shock i got used from ebay UK, cost me about $700 for the shock including shipping, way way better than the stocker, dropped a lot of seconds off my lap times, got more grip & life from my street tires.

Reactions: Beast6rr
#38 ·
Looks like all your parts are coming in nicely. Ayos! $72 for the swingarm is a steal...

I also thought about shipping my bike over there if I ever moved back, but I heard the Customs fees are insanely steep. Might be better just to save up and buy a used bike there (or sell current bike towards another one).

#41 ·
if you're going to be a balikbayan you can bring 1 or 2 vehicles with you without paying customs or taxes but don't quote me on this, better check this up with our embassy there. i know there is such a law passed a few years ago.

Reactions: TribalCBR06
#40 ·
LTO (land transportation organization) agents are very knowledgeable about what plates are legit or not, just by looking at the letters of the plate they know which region of the Philippines that plate came from, they also know what plates are used for imported & domestic bikes.

if they want to impound your bike bcoz it has no registration they can do it, a lot of bikes being sold here with questionable papers so i'd rather pay extra for bike with clean documents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.