Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

841 - 860 of 894 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #841
Stock bikes have this problem too. I can't get the feel as some of the Brembo'ed out bikes at the track.
that is a problem with nissin master cylinders, they lack the feel at lever unlike the brembo's, i think it has to do with the lever design, the nissin are too rigid whereas the brembos have thinner walls, that might be it, my hypothesis.

Reactions: dixon cider

·
Registered
340 Posts
that is a problem with nissin master cylinders, they lack the feel at lever unlike the brembo's, i think it has to do with the lever design, the nissin are too rigid whereas the brembos have thinner walls, that might be it, my hypothesis.
I should get in the business of reselling master cylinders from older bikes to "upgrade feel" including lines, pads, and MCs... Just to make it easy for people to understand. This is tough.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #843
Fabricated a bracket from a piece of aluminum plate to mount my new rear brake fluid reservoir, it cleans up the look at the rear of the bike, no more long hose drooping from the rear brake reservoir & it's lighter too.

Reactions: Nuithari

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #845
New parts arrived, got my aluminum clutch plates for my bike & they weigh a lot less than the stock steel clutch plates. A steel plate weighs 96.7g & an aluminum plate weighs 32g, my engine has 7 steel plates in total, doing the math the steel plates weigh 676.9g total & the aluminum plates weigh 224g total which gives a weight reduction of 452.9g, that's nearly 1/2kg of rotational weight removed.

Less rotational weight means more power goes to drive the rear wheel, quicker engine response, quicker acceleration & deceleration. Can't wait to put this on & weigh my bike to see how much it weighs now, more lightening parts are on the way. ?

·
Registered
495 Posts
New parts arrived, got my aluminum clutch plates for my bike & they weigh a lot less than the stock steel clutch plates. A steel plate weighs 96.7g & an aluminum plate weighs 32g, my engine has 7 steel plates in total, doing the math the steel plates weigh 676.9g total & the aluminum plates weigh 224g total which gives a weight reduction of 452.9g, that's nearly 1/2kg of rotational weight removed.

Less rotational weight means more power goes to drive the rear wheel, quicker engine response, quicker acceleration & deceleration. Can't wait to put this on & weigh my bike to see how much it weighs now, more lightening parts are on the way. ?

Couldn't have said it better myself :wink2:

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #847
Decided to install the Barnett aluminum clutch plates, i was bored & got nothing better to do. Let's give the 1000-1299cc bikes a run for their money on the track. ?

Some engine & brake parts have arrived today from the USA, got new crankshaft main bolts, crank & rod bearings, timing chain, stopper plate, oil seal etc. Just need to find time to disassemble my original engine.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #849
nice! i like how your rear brake res looks. nice and tidy.
thanks, was looking to get a G-Craft reservoir but couldn't find one here so i just had to make do with what i can find. Waiting for new rearsets, hoping my friend bought the ones i wanted from Moto-D.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
Nice work, Rev! Can't wait to see the results of all this work.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #851
Might do a trackday this weekend or next week which is why i'm getting my bike ready. About the aluminum clutch plates it changed the stack height a little from 42.2mm to 41.6mm so that kinda lessened the preload the clutch springs had on the clutch pack so i added washers to increase the preload of the clutch springs, found 1mm thick stainless steel washers in the exact ID & OD to fit the EVR pressure plate. Don't want to experience clutch slip during acceleration do i made extra steps to prevent it from happening, will get Barnett springs next.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #852
Just my luck, the swingarm spool mount broke off on the right side of the swingarm & it's just a few days from my trackday, i have no time on Monday to bring the bike or swingarm to a welder so i had to think of a way to put paddock stand bobbins on my swingarm, then it hit me, i have a pair of paddock stand bobbins from an Aprilia RSV4 lying in the trolley so i dug it up & went to work.

Found a good place to mount the bobbins on the swingarm, pictures tell the whole story. Ingenuity saved the day for me. Fixed the problem & lightened the bike at the same time, looks trick too. ???

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #853
Weighed my bike at the track today after my 1st session, almost empty fuel tank & it registered 165kg (363lbs), i still have more Ti bolts/nuts to install plus the new race fairing that's lighter than the one i'm using now, i could probably lose at least 2kgs or more when i install the new engine with lightened crankshaft. Let's shoot for 160kg! ??

Reactions: tary preisser

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Fabricated a bracket from a piece of aluminum plate to mount my new rear brake fluid reservoir, it cleans up the look at the rear of the bike, no more long hose drooping from the rear brake reservoir & it's lighter too
Ah nice. I did something similar but just bolted it on the subframe (stock res) like the 05-06 has.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #857
After spending 2 days at the track i managed to lower my current lap times by more than 1 sec & do it consistently, on worn tires. Heeded the advice of a CSS coach & changed my turn in & acceleration points, that made a ton of difference as i was rolling on the throttle too early causing me to run wide, patience is a virtue when chasing lap times.

As i did my trackday i did the method of tuning my suspension as what the Kawasaki Racing tech from Japan taught us & my consistency improved due to having more traction, grip & stability even on worn tires. Then one persistent problem with the forks arose when i really squeezed the front brakes hard, the rear was lifting up & weaving left/right making it hard to raise my corner entry speed. Tried adding 1 turn of preload & made it better but the problem still continued, looked at the zip tie on the fork & it is staying at 15mm before mechanical bottom no matter what adjustments to comp & preload. Then it hit me, maybe my fork oil level is too high & the forks are hydraulic locking during hard braking, on my last session i added 1 more turn if preload to confirm my suspicion & the bike behaved better during hard braking.

For my next setup change i'm gonna decrease fork oil level by 10mm & install a stiffer fork spring 9.5N to solve the issue. Will install a new set of tires & go back to 190/55 rear to see if i prefer it over the 180/60. Anyway here's the video on my best session, posting my lowest lap time of the 2 day test.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
Got new stuff in, more titanium madness! Less weight, less wait! ?

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
How long do you expect the aluminium to last vs steel?

Might swap to these once mine wear out on my street bike if they're not too much more expensive.

Any reason you went those over kevlar?

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
As i did my trackday i did the method of tuning my suspension as what the Kawasaki Racing tech from Japan taught us
So whats your rebound / compression set to now? I have 9.5Nm springs in mine too.

Also the video was awesome!

Good luck with the setup.

841 - 860 of 894 Posts