Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get my bike inspected yesterday on the local honda shop and they totally tried givin me heck about my signals and plate!! up front i have hotbodies flushmount which i can agree.. . . not the most visable from the front but ARE DOT approved. the rear i have DIY LED pass pegs which are way more visable than any amber bulb hangin off the rear.. for the plate i have competition werks f/e... which clearly displays the plate and has LED illumination... they complained about "the plate should be mounted as far back as possible..." well since that is the bracket the bike has... it is as far back as possible... unless he really wants me to have this $150 bracket and have the plate ziptied to the exhaust!!! this has me a little worked up but i know my lights and signals are FAR more visable than stock.. why must they be dicks?....

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
hmm strange. im a fellow PA rider myself. i never take mine to the dealer to get inspected. my lancaster honda dealer is pretty cool about things. theyd just tell me hey this stuff aint the safest but what the heck dot approved your bike your call! i take mine to a friend of my dads that works on cars buses trucks for conestoga tours. i go to him he basically writes me off. a few checks here an there and im out! pennsylvania is so un caring and rebellious when it comes to laws about cycles and licensing and roads. wonder if thats why our accident rate is so damn high lol

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
if ur close to me i can show u or tell u where it is, but i know a guy that just comes out and throws a sticker on it. i have the hotbodies and Ca tailight and my plate is about the same spot as yours and hes never said ne thing. its over in bethlehem if uve ever heard of that. if not its like 20 min from allentown.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i've heard of bethlehem.. a little out of my way... i'm in the Altoona-Johnstown-Indiana Area. . . . there are lick-n-stick guys out here .. i just didn't get a chance to go to them and it woulda been about another week till i had time to take it so i took it to the dealer on my lunchbreak. owell next year i can say i didn't change anything from last year and you passed me b4!! haha

·
Registered
579 Posts
yea i've heard of bethlehem.. a little out of my way... i'm in the Altoona-Johnstown-Indiana Area. . . . there are lick-n-stick guys out here .. i just didn't get a chance to go to them and it woulda been about another week till i had time to take it so i took it to the dealer on my lunchbreak. owell next year i can say i didn't change anything from last year and you passed me b4!! haha
Dude you live pretty close to me, i actually work in Bellewood(5 min altoona)

(edited to protect the innocent)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dude you live pretty close to me, i actually work in Bellewood(5 min altoona)

Take it where i bought my bike... ********** the guys in there are cool as ****. If they wouldnt inspect it I dont think anyone would. Tell Jeremy at the Parts counter ******* sent you if you need anything. If anyone gives you any **** ask for ******, hes a honda tech/sales guy, he'll hook you up.
Names of places that would inspect a Bike that isn't legal or is questionably legal is probably better left to Private messages or the places might just quit being so Nice if they have a Rep all over the net. Plus it draws attention of those who might close down such an establishment.
Maybe consider Editing your Post for the greater good.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Names of places that would inspect a Bike that isn't legal or is questionably legal is probably better left to Private messages or the places might just quit being so Nice if they have a Rep all over the net. Plus it draws attention of those who might close down such an establishment.
Maybe consider Editing your Post for the greater good.
Why because he doesnt have DOT turn signals? You show me any bike thats not bone stock thats legal. I was just saying, theres worse things to worry about and ill bet you could pull over any random harley and none of it would be DOT. Not to mention the pipes are way above the noise levels aloud. Is your bike DOT, mine isnt!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Why because he doesnt have DOT turn signals? You show me any bike thats not bone stock thats legal. I was just saying, theres worse things to worry about and ill bet you could pull over any random harley and none of it would be DOT. Not to mention the pipes are way above the noise levels aloud. Is your bike DOT, mine isnt!
He was just saying because if you have a place that will hook you up you dont want it advertised all over the web. Cops arent dumb, they read these things too. So if you wanna let someone know about a place they can go to then just pm them so that info doesnt end up in the wrong hands. I dont think anyone on the forum cares if each others bikes are stock or not.

·
Registered
341 Posts
wELL i LIVE IN ny NOW AND i BOUGHT MY BIKE IN 2006 AND NEVER HAVE i ONCE GOT IT INSPECTED. oUT IN pa THEY NEVER STOP YOU BECAUSE THEY JUST DONT CARE. butttt!! HERE IN ny THEY HAVE NOTHINGG BETTER TO DO SO i GOT PULLED OVER WITH A COUPLE OF TICKETS. aNYWAY i WENT OUT TO bENSALEM, pa AND NEXT TO THE dmv THEY HAVE THIS TAG PLACE WHO WILL GIVE YOU THE TAGS WITHOUT EVEN EVEN LOOKING AT THE BIKE..GO CHECK IT OUT..... (JUST WALK IN AND TELL THEM WHAT YOU NEED---I GOT NEW PLATES AND TAGS)

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS--I AM AT WORK

·
Registered
137 Posts
being from PA i will tell you this, find a local inspection place, not the dealer. First of all, as long as your plate is visable from the rear and it has lighting at night, it is legal. If your turn signals in the rear are more than 12 inches apart, and visable from the rear, it is legal, your front flush mounts are a touchy subject, as they probably can say they dont necessarily "point" forward. My 600 was originally inspected when i picked it up, and than i never bothered to reinspect it afterwards, then i moved to cali where as funny as it sounds, they could care less really. It has the federal emission sticker under the rear seat, and away i went with registration. Now every year i pay 90 dollars to reregister it, but oh well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I moved to Florida last year from the johnstown-altoona area. Ebensburg actually. And yeah the inspection thing is a big pain. It's strange, they dont inspect vehicles here. I'm pretty sure you don't even have to have signals in Florida.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
im in lancaster. good ol twisty amish roads everywhere and hillbillys haha. theyd care less here

·
Registered
585 Posts
I live in PA, but because I have an address in IN where I go to school, I got my bike registered there so that I didn't have to deal with inspections.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Screw State Inspections

I never get my bike Inspected and all the times I got pulled over by the cops they never look for the sticker and don't even ask about it either so I say f&*k state Inspections lol. And I do all the work on my own bike and check things out regularly to make sure everything is in good working order. I don't need someone else to look at my bike to tell me it's safe.

·
Registered
810 Posts
and ill bet you could pull over any random harley and none of it would be DOT. Not to mention the pipes are way above the noise levels aloud. Is your bike DOT, mine isnt!
Taken from a BIKERNET test:

2003 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic, 1,400cc with mild modifications and a full Screamin’ Eagle 2-into-1 exhaust system.
100 decibels at idle
108 decibels at cruising throttle
116 decibels fully revved
86 decibels by Federal standards

2004 1200 cc Sportster with full aftermarket Samson 2- into-1 exhaust system.
100 decibles at idle
108 decibels at moderate rpms
120 decibels fully revved
87 decibels by Federal standards

Custom 1956 Harley-Davidson, 1488 cc, with custom 2- into-2 exhaust system with modified shorty mufflers.
102 decibels at idle
111 decibels at cruising speeds
124 decibels revved
92 decibels by Federal standards
2007 Softail Custom 1,500 cc, original from the factory
97 decibels at idle
102 decibels at cruising speed
111 decibels revved
82 decibels by Federal Standards

Anyone know what our bikes are?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dont think any aftermarket exhaust is within a legal range, I could be wrong though.

When I was at home in PA I was at a loud exhaust competition but all the bikes were cruiser style and they measured them with a decibel meter. Im wondering too if the higher pitched sportbike pipes or the lower harley pipes give a higher reading

1 - 20 of 21 Posts