Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing the body work on my bike right now after my little mishap and laying my bike down. I got a couple questions though!

1) For prepping the factory paint for new paint, I took a 500grit sanding block and went over the existing paint to take the clear coat off, after blowing it off and washing it, it feels the exact same but it doesn't have the shine. Is this what im going for? Should I then have the painter primer this and then paint? Or just go straight for paint?

2) What is the proper name for the fairing right below the gas tank on the left side? The one that has the CBR sticker on it usually. Its a 2008 :)

Thanks in advance guys!
Dizzymagoo

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen that thread before. It's a wonderful write up, I was just curious about the texture of what the fairings are suppose to feel like after the sanding.

Great looking R1! You did a good job!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thanks. With 500 grit you wont really be sanding much off, just smoothing it out. I would take some 180-220 to it then Primer, wetsand with 400-600, and paint it. Painting color directly over color can be done but it can show through if you dont use enough. Primer is cheap and makes a nice clean slate to work with.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! I will give this a go! Do you have any recommendations for primer? Does it need to be professionally sprayed? Can I just get some from the automotive paint store in an aerosol can and spray it myself?

·
Registered
991 Posts
you just want to make sure the primer is compatible with the paint you are spraying. Are you painting it yourself or having someone else do it? If you are having someone else paint it, most reputable paint shops want to primer it themselves to make sure it all comes out right.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm having a local shop paint it, they're a client at my work so they are doing it mostly as a side job. I'm taking one of the sanded fairings over there after work tonight to have them take a look at it. Hopefully this all comes out good!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts