Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day i laid the bike down doing about ten miles an hour and it slide on the pavement. The only damage was to my frame slider and the rear cowl has a scratch. I ordered some paint pens from color rite to fix it. Should i wet sand the area after using the paint pen to blend it smooth??

·
Jack Daniels is my bff
1,985 Posts
Paint touch up is very hard to get perfect. I don't know how nice you can get it with a paint pen. Your probably better off just getting the touch up paint that has the little brush. That way you can pour some in a little cup and thin with acetone before applying with a small paint brush or toothpick. Doing multiple coats is better so can avoid getting a blob going. After you touch it up and apply some coats of clear you can wet sand it all once its completely dried.

I have a small air brush that I use sometimes for stone chips on my car. It' helps a bunch but is still tough especially with metallic paints to get it nice. I mean if you don't spray it on just right you get flip flop in that spot and it looks like crap. I'm decent with it can't really see it unless you're up pretty close... Theirs a guy the Audi dealership near me uses and he is AMAZING with the airbrush. He can literally make huge scratches disappear. Some people are just better painters then others I guess lol.....

·
Jack Daniels is my bff
1,985 Posts
Do you think it would be ok to sand after the paint, then buff?
You should probably put some clear on it if you intend on wet sanding and buffing. Otherwise you may just take the paint off since its not protected by the clear. With the clear applied and wet sanded it will also help blend the touch up job...

·
Jack Daniels is my bff
1,985 Posts
I thought the only clear on the bike was on the tank. Am I wrong??
Is your bike a matte paint job? Otherwise it should be clear coated.. A definition: Clear coat paint refers to the clear (non-pigmented) top coat paint that is applied over a colored base coat paint, and is found on most vehicles built in recent years. Clear coat paint increases the vehicle's paint durability, gloss and resistance to harmful environmental effects. I think maybe your talking about the emblems on your tank are clear coated over. Small scratches that are only in the clear can usually just be polished or wet sanded out. If its through the clear into the paint then you need to touch up. Hope this makes sense...

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you don't have much experience I would forget wet sanding, especially on a rounded surface.

It's easy to put finger marks in the paint with inexperienced hands, doesn't take much to sand right through the paint even with 3000 wet grit.

First, I would decide if fixing it is really something you WANT to do. Often a small repair will actually look worse and stand out more than a couple little minor imperfections if you aren't experienced. Second, I would skip using the pen. Like JMO said, I would dump some of the paint into a cup - thin it out with a very small amount of mineral spirits so it's not like trying to spread pudding on the bike. Go to a crafts store and get a super super fine paint brush and do multiple THIN coats.

After this is done, decide if you want to wet sand to help blend it a little & re-clear the area. Make sure you wet sand the area with very light pressure & lots of water and pay attention to the milky run-off as this is your paint repair & clear coat being sanded away. It really doesn't take much to sand right through the clear & then make it look like a gigantic mess.

Damn, I'm making it sound like it's impossible...LOL It's not, but my point is that it'll be reallly easy to make a mess out of a lil boo-boo on the bike.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bro. I have done minor stuff before but this is my first time working on the bikes paint. Instead of the pens I canceled my order and got the jars instead. Took about two days to get to my house from www.colorrite.com. The paint in the jars does seem pretty thin so I might not need any reducer. The instructions told me to dab the paint on rather than brush it on. Found this kinda odd but I will follow their instructions I guess. Have you used their products before?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks bro. I have done minor stuff before but this is my first time working on the bikes paint. Instead of the pens I canceled my order and got the jars instead. Took about two days to get to my house from www.colorrite.com. The paint in the jars does seem pretty thin so I might not need any reducer. The instructions told me to dab the paint on rather than brush it on. Found this kinda odd but I will follow their instructions I guess. Have you used their products before?
Pictures before and after?!?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Dabbing it on works good. I usually use a toothpick to lay paint in spots or in long scratches. Works the best but I've had success with the fine painters brushes from an arts/crafts store before.

I've never used their paint, whenever I do paint repairs I go to the dealer for my cars & trucks or whoever brings me their car. Perfect matching paint helps a lot too...

Post up some pics of what you're planning to repair.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya it sucks. But I will def post some pics. I ordered the clear coat last night and I received it today!! Could not believe how awesome their customer service is. Its crappy weather out right now but I will post pics of the scratch and before and after pics. Thanks for all the advice so far guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts